Dickinson Newport Propane heater placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Guys, I've pretty much decided that I wanna install a Dickinson P12000 propane furnace. A P9000 is also an option but I think the 12000 is a better buy as long as it fits in the Camano 31 salon.

My CruiseAirrrrr reverse cycle works great but I don't have a generator (the PO took it out) and I don't want one. I like keeping it simple.

I DON'T WANNA TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE ABOUT WHICH AUX HEATING SYSTEM IS BETTER. I definitely wanna go with propane because I already have a propane system on board and I like the Newport specs. I'm aware that diesel is safer (Webasto and others) but I've decided against it. I've also decided against an engine Buss heater.

So......Where would (could?) I mount it?? I need a straight run for the exhaust flue and intake. Actually it's one section....The air intake is a small pipe inside and the outer core is the exhaust.

The only spots I see are:

1. Port , aft near the door (about 1 foot from the factory glass storage area.

2. Port, about 6 inches aft from the head door.

Where else? Thanks guys! I can't wait to do this mod! I need heat while underway and also love the aesthetics of this unit.

No help on where to mount it sorry. I will tell you they are fast and very easy to install. The down side is they do not put out a lot of heat. I have the P9000 in the cabin of a 22 foot Seasport and it is not too much by a long shot.

No help on where to mount it sorry. I will tell you they are fast and very easy to install. The down side is they do not put out a lot of heat. I have the P9000 in the cabin of a 22 foot Seasport and it is not too much by a long shot.

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards the P12000. It's 5500 BTU vs the 4500 from the 9000 series. I know it's not gonna heat the whole boat. I just want a simple setup to take the chill off in my early spring and fall cruises.

Don't have any knowledge on the propane units, but I will tell you I have the Webasto diesel heater and I can't imagine a better unit. It is amazing. It heats all areas of the boat in no time including the v berth. We've been using it regularly.

Don't have any knowledge on the propane units, but I will tell you I have the Webasto diesel heater and I can't imagine a better unit. It is amazing. It heats all areas of the boat in no time including the v berth. We've been using it regularly.

What it doesn't do is heat the head. We added a tee under the seat on the port side and ran a small tube across the forward engine room bulkhead and into the head. Worked great.

My only caution to propane heat is the amount of moisture it puts into the cabin!
Sweating windows etc are a given.
I will 2nd the Webasco and/or Espar heating choices! Both work great! Much dryer heat and diesel

It doesn’t vent inside the boat, it vents outside! No moisture inside as that would mean you have combustion gases inside too. Its why you don’t run your stove for heat. Some small issue called CO.

I have had a P12000 for about 10 years. You can mount it any where. The only part of the entire unit that gets too hot to touch is the glass in the door. The sides of the heater are cool to the touch. The exhaust chimney gets pretty hot but you can touch it briefly. The heater comes with a stainless steel mounting plate so rear clearance is not an issue. The only complaint I have about mine is that the fan is a bit noisy at higher settings.

Venting is NOT an issue since the heater draws in outside air for combustion and has a sealed combustion chamber. The exhaust stack is the inner tube of the double chimney so it preheats combustion air. No exhaust gases are vented into the cabin so condensation is not a problem.

You do need to have the fan on pretty high to get maximum heating. A second fan to circulate cabin air is also a good idea.

We quite enjoy the visible flame at night.

I also have a Webasto Airtop 2000. It heats the boat much more quickly than the Dichinson, but the blower for the forced air is louder and it draws considerably more electrical power. The Webasto also cost almost three times what the Dickinson cost. Note I bought the complete installation kit with fuel pump, ducting, through hull exhaust vent, etc.

The Dickinson comes as a complete kit. All you will need to buy is a propane hose and wire to connect the fan to your 12 VDC system.

My only caution to propane heat is the amount of moisture it puts into the cabin!
Sweating windows etc are a given.
I will 2nd the Webasco and/or Espar heating choices! Both work great! Much dryer heat and diesel

Huh? Diesel is a "dryer" heat? The Newport unit is vented outside via a straight run of metal flue....There should be no "sweating" involved.

\

Nice. I've definitely been shopping the other options but I feel that the Newport will work best for my needs. I love the real fireplace feel. Lol

I have had a P12000 for about 10 years. You can mount it any where. The only part of the entire unit that gets too hot to touch is the glass in the door. The sides of the heater are cool to the touch. The exhaust chimney gets pretty hot but you can touch it briefly. The heater comes with a stainless steel mounting plate so rear clearance is not an issue. The only complaint I have about mine is that the fan is a bit noisy at higher settings.

Venting is NOT an issue since the heater draws in outside air for combustion and has a sealed combustion chamber. The exhaust stack is the inner tube of the double chimney so it preheats combustion air. No exhaust gases are vented into the cabin so condensation is not a problem.

You do need to have the fan on pretty high to get maximum heating. A second fan to circulate cabin air is also a good idea.

We quite enjoy the visible flame at night.

I also have a Webasto Airtop 2000. It heats the boat much more quickly than the Dichinson, but the blower for the forced air is louder and it draws considerably more electrical power. The Webasto also cost almost three times what the Dickinson cost. Note I bought the complete installation kit with fuel pump, ducting, through hull exhaust vent, etc.

The Dickinson comes as a complete kit. All you will need to buy is a propane hose and wire to connect the fan to your 12 VDC system.

Thanks

IMG_2230.jpg

Not a happy camper. I ordered my P12000 in early January and its still not here yet. I called the factory and they're in the process of manufacturing more and will be fulfilling orders in mid March! Wtf. Good thing I'm not on the boat until early April....

I'm just struggling with where you're going to put it. I was looking around my boat today and can't figure it out. Don't forget the pictures. Have fun.
toni

I'm just struggling with where you're going to put it. I was looking around my boat today and can't figure it out. Don't forget the pictures. Have fun.
toni

I'm struggling with it too! Haha. These are my 2 ideas for possible locations.

1. Aft, starboard corner of the salon. I'm thinking that we could build out a bracket or structure to mount the furnace too. I've seen lots of Camanos with extra shelves built in that corner. So why not?

2. The other location I'm thinking of is just to the left of the steering wheel, on that wall. I haven't surveyed that area though, I think is there some wiring behind there. The other issue with this area is that I need to run a straight section of the exhaust flue through the flybridge and it may be near the helm chairs up there.

One way or another I'll get it mounted! Our boats are so customizable. Where there's a will there's a way. My bigger issue is the weather. I need springtime to come so I can cut the shrinkwrap and start all my various projects.

Several years ago when we installed one the installation manual permitted a 90 deg. bend in the inlet/exhaust pipe so the unit could be vented out the cabin side. Installing it as low as possible will help the heating, we put in a fan up high to blow the warm air down to the floor. We liked the fireplace effect. Ours also took months to arrive.

Several years ago when we installed one the installation manual permitted a 90 deg. bend in the inlet/exhaust pipe so the unit could be vented out the cabin side. Installing it as low as possible will help the heating, we put in a fan up high to blow the warm air down to the floor. We liked the fireplace effect. Ours also took months to arrive.

Thanks, good to know. Allowing a bend in the flue will open up new mounting locations.

Bummer on the delay. There’s one on the shelf here in Bellingham.

Left of the Wheel?

Are you talking about in front of the table/behind the fridge? Looks possible to route venting out to the left.

Hydronic is the solution that supplies both hot water and heat without running the engine. I am eager to see how your install plays out though I have seen you can burn through propane quickly for heat in RV's.

My Dickinson P12000 is finally installed and fired up! Awesome! I love the fireplace effect, makes the boat more cozy. I'm also gonna be installing a P9000 in the V berth as well. Here's some pics.

20180415_174348 (1).jpg

20180415_180634.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.....how long does a propane tank last you in this kind of weather ?

IDK! I'm still on the hard. Should be in the water in 2 weeks or so. March and April have been long and cold. I'm just starting to finally wrap up some of my winter mods (only 1 month delayed!!!).

"Dryness" of the air in the cabin is a result of temperature of the heated air and where it is drawn from. Cold air brought inside the cabin and heated will absorb a lot of water since it has very little moisture in it once it's been heated up. Air drawn from inside the cabin and heated already has moisture in it. Think "dew temperature"...

The ventilation air draws in and is then heated causing both dryer air in the cabin and a slight positive pressure inside the cabin. As the cold air heats it is able to absorb and hold a much larger quantity of moisture and a constant stream of freshly heated outside air keeps the ability of the "new" air to pick up moisture from the cabin interior.

Combustion air and ventilation air are two completely different systems.

In my opinion that's the biggest advantage to a forced air system, IF the ventilation air is drawn in cold and then heated.

I was in your area 2 weeks ago Merrimac, MA and Salem, NH with weather like that this Florida boy would need a couple of those in our boat

I was in your area 2 weeks ago Merrimac, MA and Salem, NH with weather like that this Florida boy would need a couple of those in our boat

Definitely! We're still in a cold stretch up here. It was high 30's yesterday. Now today is the Boston Marathon and it's torrential rain.

......In my opinion that's the biggest advantage to a forced air system, IF the ventilation air is drawn in cold and then heated.

If you are drawing in outside air....doesn't that mean you are also expelling heated air ? That seems pretty inefficient. If moisture is a problem, wouldn't you be better off with a dehumidifier, instead of pumping heated air into the environment ??

Yes, you are expelling heated air, that's where the moisture leaves the interior of your vessel. Otherwise you just have heated moist air... I have passive vents (dorade vents) and block the intake vent so it exhausts through the bathroom vent. I close the bathroom door to slow down the air movement.

Dehumidifier is extra expense and equipment, boats aren't insulated enough that it makes much difference. Losing heated air is probably more efficient and lower cost than messing about with dehumidifiers and the extra space and power draw.

You can't really have warm AND dry if you heat interior air without either venting some warm (and moist) air out or having a dehumidifier.

Back
Top Bottom