WiFi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystic Blue

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SiMBA
Vessel Make
1973 38' Hatteras DC
Anyone found a good, reliable WiFi system for the boat that is not too expensive?

Why not use your cell phone as a hot spot? Simple and cheap.

Our AT&T plan covered us in Canada as well.

Why not use your cell phone as a hot spot? Simple and cheap.

Our AT&T plan covered us in Canada as well.

That's we did for three months in the Exumas at $35 per month after paying for the SIM.

Tethered in my iPad and my wife's phone, and guest's phones. Worked a treat.

A better investment may be a quality booster.

I did research couple months ago and ended up installing Pepwave Max Transit + Wilson Electronics 4G Wide Band Omni Marine Antenna (adds extra 10-15 miles range compare to a cellphone without booster). It has dual SIM, no monthly fees for remote administration (which is quite common in similar devices), easy to setup. This would cost about a $1000.

Slightly cheaper options would be

Pepwave Max BR1 (no 5GHz WiFi transmission)
Pepwave Max BR1 Pro (no simultaneous 5GHz and 2.4GHz WiFi transmission)
CradlePoint IBR600 (no 5GHz WiFi transmission)

If you are going to keep boat for several years - I would recommend Pepwave Max Transit. There is a trend in mobile industry to move toward 5GHz frequencies. Otherwise get a used CradlePoint IBR600 from ebay.

Last edited:
It would help if the OP defined what is meant by a "wifi system" and what its use would be, as well as what "not too expensive" means.

WiFi routers for home use are cheap. No different on a boat. In fact, you can probably find one that has a 12V power supply.

Update: I went looking and found this one on Amazon for $20. It looks like it may even be able to tether a cell phone connection via USB.

I installed the IslandTime WIFI transceiver, antenna and their 12v router for the boat. In fact I'm using it right now to write this from out in my mooring field. 3 years so far with no issues or complaints whatsoever.

http://islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

Ken

I installed the IslandTime WIFI transceiver, antenna and their 12v router for the boat. In fact I'm using it right now to write this from out in my mooring field. 3 years so far with no issues or complaints whatsoever.

Marine WiFi Systems

Ken

I have been installing Wave Rogue systems in the past (which have been fine) but put an IslandTime on a customers Fathom 40 this summer & it seems like a good system so that's what we're going to put on our boat. Bob @ Island time is personable ,good to deal with & can be contacted easily for support if needed which is a big selling point for me.

We use a Verizon Jet Pak (MiFi). It works just fine and we work from the boat. Travel all up and down the east coast with no issues with connectivity. The unit can serve 15 devices at the same time. And it's cheap.

Back
Top Bottom