Help on how to tighten fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Any guidance on how to go about tightening this fitting on a Lecomble & Schmitt power unit for the autopilot? It is leaking. Seems to be 3 places to put a wrench on. Not sure what's what. Hoping it is a standard fitting that someone can decipher for me.

Thanks!
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_9357.jpg
    IMG_9357.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 123
Might have to loosen the lower fitting, the elbow, which looks to be a flare compression fitting, to be able to turn the two above it. Might help to know where it is leaking. Two fittings above the elbow look to be pipe thread.

Might have to loosen the lower fitting, the elbow, which looks to be a flare compression fitting, to be able to turn the two above it. Might help to know where it is leaking. Two fittings above the elbow look to be pipe thread.

Last time I checked it I was convinced I knew exactly where it was leaking, now I am not so sure. In any case, thanks for the tip.

I did see on youtube lots of recommendations for wrapping the olive with PTFE tape to stop a leak. Wonder if that's worth trying (if the leak is actually on the compression fitting and not the threaded fittings.

Lastly, I am not sure what type of pressure this is under. If I had to take the connection apart, would I be able to use a plug or something to stop the steering fluid from spurting everywhere.

Thanks,
Mike

Never use PTFE tape on the olive as pieces may end up through the system,
When not turned on there's no pressure in the system, just normal leak pressure from gravity,
They are easy enough to separate, reseal the taper thread fittings above the olive fitting with Loctite or similar thread locker/sealant
Unless the olive/compression fitting is damaged it should just re seal once tight

2nd no teflon tape on compression ferrules. If you're unsure of where the leak is coming from, probably best to disassemble it all, clean the threads thoroughly with a wire brush & brake cleaner, then reassemble it. Leak lock by Highside Chemical does a great job on all sorts of fluids, I've used it in my trade past on everything from fuel oil to refrigerant fittings. You can use it on compression fittings without worry. Use denatured alcohol to clean up hands.
Leak_Lock_Blue.jpg

Olive nut! Never heard it called that before. Learned something new.

1. Place a wrench on the middle fitting (the narrow one) and while holding it firmly, loosen the bottom swivel nut on the hose.
  2. Place a wrench on the upper fitting and check for tightness, but don't over tighten
  3. Next, keeping the wrench on the upper fitting and holding it firmly, place a wrench on the middle fitting and check for tightness, again, don't over tighten
  4. Finally, keeping the wrench on the middle fitting and holding it firmly, tighten the bottom swivel nut until it just makes contact, then tighten it further by about 1/8 turn.
  5. Clean with degreaser (I use brake cleaner spray) and give it a test.

Loosen it first and let it leak out a little fluid. This will flush the surfaces of any dirt. Then re-tighten.
That usually works for me.

Take the flared or JIC fitting apart, and give it a thorough blast with brake clean, then assemble.

Don't over tighten or you'll stretch the threads or deform the seat.

If one of those fittings are pipe thread, use gritted sealant sold at hydraulic shops. Don't use sealant on JIC or flared fittings.

Conall

Last edited:
  1. Place a wrench on the middle fitting (the narrow one) and while holding it firmly, loosen the bottom swivel nut on the hose.
  2. Place a wrench on the upper fitting and check for tightness, but don't over tighten
  3. Next, keeping the wrench on the upper fitting and holding it firmly, place a wrench on the middle fitting and check for tightness, again, don't over tighten
  4. Finally, keeping the wrench on the middle fitting and holding it firmly, tighten the bottom swivel nut until it just makes contact, then tighten it further by about 1/8 turn.
  5. Clean with degreaser (I use brake cleaner spray) and give it a test.

Thanks everyone for the tips! Before this thread I didn't even know what a compression fitting was! Now I understand how they work and feel well-equipped to deal with the problem.

Much appreciated. This forum is just incredibly helpful thanks to great members like all of you.

Mike

Close the loop and tell us what eventually fixes the problem.

Close the loop and tell us what eventually fixes the problem.

Update: upon further inspection the unit itself is leaking and I've got a warranty claim in with Beneteau to replace it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom