Need new holding tank input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

My new (old) Eagle 36 has electric heads with a type 1 holding tank setup that has more junk, wires, hoses, etc. than I have ever seen. I contacted the Coast Guard and they informed me this system is no longer legal in Puget Sound. So I need to gut it and install a new holding tank system. I am also considering doing the fresh water flush solenoid thing (I have lots of fresh water capacity).

I am open to any and all suggestions with regard to equipment, advice, stories, and pictures of what you have or what you have had to do.

Thanks - Dave

Last edited:
Puget Sound is a No Discharge Zone (NDZ)?

-Chris

"I am also considering doing the fresh water flush solenoid thing .............. "

There is no "fresh water flush solenoid thing", at least not one that doesn't expose you and your family to serious disease.

Holding tank or treatment tank?

Treatment MSDs are still legal for now.

Converting heads to fresh water can be done with proper safeguards to your potable water system.

Hi All,

My new (old) Eagle 36 has electric heads with a type 1 holding tank setup that has more junk, wires, hoses, etc. than I have ever seen. I contacted the Coast Guard and they informed me this system is no longer legal in Puget Sound. So I need to gut it and install a new holding tank system. I am also considering doing the fresh water flush solenoid thing (I have lots of fresh water capacity).

I am open to any and all suggestions with regard to equipment, advice, stories, and pictures of what you have or what you have had to do.

Thanks - Dave

I'm in the process of converting to the Raritan Electro San but the discharge hose that goes to the overbd seacock will have a "Y" valve that can send to my holding tank. This way I can do either depending on what the rules are. This also eliminates the odor you would have in the tank with raw waste breaking down.
I consider this a win win situation.

I'm in the process of converting to the Raritan Electro San but the discharge hose that goes to the overbd seacock will have a "Y" valve that can send to my holding tank. This way I can do either depending on what the rules are. This also eliminates the odor you would have in the tank with raw waste breaking down.
I consider this a win win situation.

Do it the other way.

Have your head(s) go directly to your holding tank.

Take the output of your macerator pump and connect it to the input of your Electro-Scan. The output of the electro-scan goes to your overboard seacock.

Control the system uning a Raritan Hond-N-Treat controller.

Then you can choose to hold your waste for pumpout, or treat your waste using the electro-scan.

A simple key switch makes the system leagal in US "no discharge" zones.

I second what Kevin said. If you're going to be where it is easy to get a pump out or are often in water where it is leagal to dump overboard, skip the treatment system. It adds complexity and lots of fiddly parts to the system.

Do it the other way.

Have your head(s) go directly to your holding tank.

Take the output of your macerator pump and connect it to the input of your Electro-Scan. The output of the electro-scan goes to your overboard seacock.

Control the system uning a Raritan Hond-N-Treat controller.

Then you can choose to hold your waste for pumpout, or treat your waste using the electro-scan.

A simple key switch makes the system leagal in US "no discharge" zones.

K I don't think you can do it that way because the lector San can only take 1.5 gallons of liquid per flush hooking to the output macerate would over fill the tank an not let the system work as engineered to kill the bacteria that the system is supposed to do

The hold n treat controller controls a relay that controls your macerator pump to only output the correct amount for the lectroscan. What Kevin suggested is exactly the way Raritan has designed the system. I want to install one in our system and read all the manuals which show exactly what Kevin is suggesting. Now there is always a possibility of a relay failure or board failure but that goes with anything.

Our MT 34 when bought had 1 24 gal holding tank with 19 gal sludge. The P.O. used a y valve to solve the problem of 2 manual heads. I removed all heads, tank, overboard discharge options, hoses.

Replaced with 2 new electric heads, one salt one fresh water-
fore and aft poly tanks 30 gal each, and new hoses. If I had it to do over I’d do it the same except I’d use fresh water in both heads and make sure that they were identicle

What’s the fuss about fresh water flush? Its not instant death if something fails; how can a downhill run to a toilet flush be dangerous? Your toilet never mixes waste with potable water until its ready to be discharged or sent to the tank or overboard. My dog has been known to drink out of a toilet but I have never been tempted...

Final update. I gutted the old Type 1 system they had and all plumbing. Installed 1 new electric head (other is still working). Fresh water flush for the front head and shower handle for water into the aft head. Both empty into a new Trionic holding tank. Had to cut a hole in the side walkway and install a pump out port. And of course all new plumbing throughout.

Hopefully all downhill from here

Congrats on completion of generally the worst project ever.

I was able to use the existing pump out and add a new one above the lazarette.

Initially I was concerned about eliminating the overboard discharge option, since when we are away from the dock we are generally at anchor, in Penobscot Bay. 5 years later zero regret.

Granted we are rarely out for more than a couple of weeks at a time and there’s generally a need or desire to come in to restock. If inclement weather is pending it’s an excuse to come into one of the many town docks we are blessed with, pumpouts and a walk to town!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom