Re-galvanizing really a thing? Spade issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I was all settled on a 100lb spade for my trawler when the guy at fisheries threw a wrench in my thinking by saying they do not recommend the spade because it isn't any better than the rocna AND can't be regalvinized... now in terms of performance the YouTube videos show the spade is a step up in performance for resetting but the regalvinizing was odd to me, maybe it's just me but in all my experience and that of my family we have never regalvinized an anchor... is that really something I should be concerned about? I guess the lead in the tip is the issue.
Thoughts?

Simple answer is that regalvanizing is necessary as a result of poor original galvanizing on an anchor. Chain is different as you can only put so much on before the links are frozen. For a Rochna or Bruce where there are no moving parts, it can be nice and thick.

I'd take the Rochna over the spade anyway, but that's just based on my experience, not some anchor test.

Ted

We've had 2 anchors regalvanized, a Bruce and a CQR. We were warned about the lead in the tip of the CQR melting. The galvanizer looked at it and said not to worry, which we didn't. The lead was encased and the process is pretty quick. That being said, the galvanizing was not as good as the original factory process but still a heck of a lot cheaper than a new anchor.

We now have a Rocna which will still need to be regalvaized at some point. The zinc coating will wear off with use. Rocna recognizes this and offers free replacement decals.

Last edited:
If you actually use your anchor it will need regalvanizing.
If you are tied to a marina all the time its not an issue.

...We now have a Rocna which will still need to be regalvanized at some point. The zinc coating will wear off with use. Rocna recognizes this and offers free replacement decals.
Decals on an anchor? For after regalvanizing? My Sarca came without decals(sob)...I`d not missed them up til now, but.....it`s humor, right?
We used have "Galvafroid" brand in brush on form, it was a good product. Something like that, as DHeckrotte suggests,could be the simple answer.

I'd like to learn more about re-galvanizing anchor chain. There are folks at my marina (who use their boats and anchor out often) who do this religiously every 4 years or so. My 100m (330') chain doesn't look too bad...but then again, I've never flaked it out along the dock to properly inspect it. I'm about to do that as part of end-on-end'ing it (I haven't done that in 10 years either). Like BruceK ( & many Aussies) I too have a SARCA anchor---clearly the best anchor type in the world, as it doesn't need decals to work properly in all bottom conditions.

Sounds like ill go with the spade, thanks for the advice

I'd like to learn more about re-galvanizing anchor chain. There are folks at my marina (who use their boats and anchor out often) who do this religiously every 4 years or so. My 100m (330') chain doesn't look too bad...but then again, I've never flaked it out along the dock to properly inspect it. I'm about to do that as part of end-on-end'ing it (I haven't done that in 10 years either). Like BruceK ( & many Aussies) I too have a SARCA anchor---clearly the best anchor type in the world, as it doesn't need decals to work properly in all bottom conditions.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sydney Galvanizing [/FONT]

Home ;)

I replaced my chain last weekend(with help), 80M/110kg of it. The thought of getting it off the boat, getting to the galvanizers, paying for it, getting it back, reloading it, makes me think replacement as needed might be better than re-galvanizing. I suppose if you did it several times and got it down pat, it might be ok, but removal/reloading is not a job for the faint hearted. Mine was 5/16(it was there and never developed any holes), not the heavier 3/8 or 1/2" which would be harder to handle.

Decals on an anchor? For after regalvanizing? My Sarca came without decals(sob)...I`d not missed them up til now, but.....it`s humor, right?...

I don't make this stuff up. From Rocna's web site.

"Replacement genuine Rocna or Vulcan labels can be sent to you free of charge upon request." :lol:

For folks in Seattle, I had good luck getting my anchor chain regalvanised at Emerald Galvanizing in Ballard. It was MUCH cheaper than replacing the chain.

I regalvanized my 400 ft of 3/8" and the Rocna 40 kg anchor. I did it while the boat was on the hard one winter. Found a 55 gal plastic barrel and a pallet, put them on the bed and backed a pickup under the bow. Lowered the anchor onto the pallet with the winch, payed the chain out into the barrel, and off to the galvanizers who lifted the pallet off. EZPZ. Put it all back reversing the process. No heavy lifting involved.

Used Southern Atlantic Galvanizers in VA. Cost was about $900.

When I still had my last sailboat, I had the chain and the CQR both re-galvanized. Cheaper than new chain, though not a lot.
Unintended consequence was the loss of the lead toe in the CQR. Probably cost about 1/8 of the total weight of the anchor. I never had any noticeable loss of holding power or setting.

Keith,
The ballast loss probably allowed the fluke tip to slide into the seabed more readily but the weight probably helped too so as you have experienced it's probably a wash.
The CQR has a rep of not setting smartly and halving a less bulbous tip may/will help the setting. But probably at a slight cost to holding power. But they seem to have good holding power. So perhaps a better overall anchor?

DHeckrotte has it right for small coating repairs. Commercial fisherman have tons of galvanized tackle and gear. Cold Galvanizing paint is a good patch that will last a few years. If you take the time to prep the metal, it bonds well. There are products that dissolves rust down to base metal that can be brushed on or items can be submerged into that doesn't hurt the remaining zinc. Cold Galvanizing paint will get several more years use out of chain or anchors before it's worthwhile to regalvanize.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/dheckrotte-12213.html

Scott Galvanizing Seattle.

This is a long established galvanizer that does quality work. It's on Leary Way close to the north end of the Ballard Bridge (just west). Don't have any recent experience w them but in the 80's and 90's they were very good. Worked for a large machine shop in Everett that sent a lot of work to Scott.

Most of the galvanizers that do a lot of commercial work are good.

Cold Galvanizing paint is a good patch that will last a few years. Cold Galvanizing paint will get several more years use out of chain or anchors before it's worthwhile to regalvanize.

I find that hard to believe

I end for ended our chain to the unused end about 8 mths ago .
Now, it is rusting, galv worn off where chain scrapes on s/s cheeks on roller during retrieval on windy days.

If the anchor and chain doesn't actually get used maybe?

Gold gal is great if there's no abrasion involved.

On anchor rodes fairly constant re-applying more cold gal is required.

However I was surprised ho it lasted on one of my anchors. Perhaps it was the innitial coating and I used a good primer.

It lasts great and if it wears off, shoot it again.

Sounds like a lot of bother to me. I own two spades now almost 20 years old and no need to galvanize for they are aluminum and they work just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom