Summer trip to Seattle area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Was trying to think of an interesting trip to the West Coast, and since we have never been to the Seattle area I was thinking about that.

What are some things we should do and see? We only have a week to work with. Taking our two boys ages 17 and 20. We all like interesting food, coffee, boating and the water (obviously). The kids like adventurous stuff-- hiking, zip lines, white water rafting, etc.

I see it's about a 2.5 hour drive to Vancouver BC. Would that be an interesting side trip?

Thanks for any ideas. I know quite a few of y'all are from that area. We are from Texas and usually get tired of the heat around August.

Egads- there is a ton of things in this area!

• Explore the city's underground, Seattle Center, Pike Place Market, and the general downtown corridor
  • Take a high speed ferry to Victoria, BC for the day, or drive to Vancouver
  • road trip out to the ocean or to the mountains
  • Climb Mount Si, then head to Snoqualmie Falls
  • Eat, drink, and be merry!

Wow. All those sound like great ideas. Especially the ferry.

Thanks !

Good recommendations from Pau Hana.

I would concentrate on things that are very different from your home state. In this case, Mountains and water. Seattle is a nice city, but I wouldn't spend too much time there. Underground Seattle is a great excursion that is worth the time. Pike's Place Market is iconic to Seattle. The Victoria Clipper (high speed passenger ferry) to Victoria for the day is a great idea as it will allow you to see a bunch of the water in the area in a short time and give you a change to visit Victoria which is a fun place to walk around for a bit.

Longish drive, but Mt. Rainier is a good visit. It is one of the truly signature National Parks. The other option is to go the other way and drive to Olympic National Park.

check out San Juan Island. they have zip lines, whale watching, kyack tours.
you rent a house through Airbnb.

ED

The Victoria Clipper goes from Seattle to Victoria usually via Saratoga Passage, Deception Pass and the San Juan Islands. Some exceptionally beautiful waters and possibility of grey whales or orcas. Their website is
http://www.clippervacations.com.

I've lived in both Washington and BC. I prefer BC, but Washington State is great too. If you haven't been to Canada, well, you should. It really is a noticeably different country. Your dollar goes a long way up here now, too.
Vancouver is a really nice city. If you like cities. Victoria has more charm.

Wildplay.com is a Canadian chain of aerial obstacle courses and bungee jumps that is a hoot. I think they opened one up in Victoria recently.

For something you'll not find in Texas...visit the Ballard Locks. Watch vessels of all sizes and types pass through the locks and take in the beautiful park setting. Hiram M. Chittenden-Ballard Locks

I second checking out the Ballard Locks and taking the Clipper to Victoria BC. I'd also suggest the following (time permitting)

* Walk on the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island. It's one of the best views you can get of the city skyline, and if you're in Seattle...you HAVE to take a ferry ride! Plus, when you get off on Bainbridge Island, you can easily walk to restaurants, shops, etc etc.

* As someone else mentioned, the Olympic Rainforest and the beaches on the Pacific Ocean are STUNNING. Second Beach at La Push is hard to beat. Especially if you go at low tide and can walk the whole beach. It's a bit of a trek, but well worth it! Hiking through the Hoh Rainforest is great too.

* Someone mentioned Rainier, which while crowded, is a hike that is well worth it. From fields of wild flowers up above the snow line (even in summer), with HUGE views of Rainier right in your face

* If the weather isn't great -- the Museum of Flight is well worth it. Space Shuttle Trainer, Concorde, SR-71 Blackbird. Lots of cool stuff to see.

* If you like cars, the LeMay car museum is well worth checking out as well (especially if the weather isn't great)

* If you like beer, there are over a dozen great breweries in Ballard (not too far from the Locks)

With all the great ideas, looks like the OP will have to schedule more time up here. :)

Victoria on the clipper is an excellent idea. Overnight would be even better. Victoria waterfront is wonderful with nearly everything within walking distance lots to see and good inexpensive bus service if you want to hit some of the other sites like Butchard Gardens.

If Victoria doesn't work with your schedule, all the suggestions I read sound really good. Don't forget Pike place market above the Seattle waterfront. If you're going to spend most your time in Seattle, then one of the tour bus packages will get you from site to site with no hassles.

All my European friends always want to see "real" American Indians. There is an excursion tour to Tillicum Village lodge on Blake Island. It's about a 1 hour cruise on an excursion ferry from Seattle water front and includes a salmon dinner and show with native performers singing and dancing to native traditional music. (I don't know how "real" it is, but my friends enjoy it.)

https://www.viator.com/tours/Seattle/Tillicum-Village-Cultural-Experience/d704-3797TV?pref=204

Tillicum Village is a good idea. The food is good (for a large buffet) and the performance is culturally informative.

The concession is located on Blake Island, a state park. The south end of the island has some old growth forest and some nice hiking trails. It also offers great views of the Seattle skyline.

Ferry to Orcas Island.

Either get up real early in SEA or stage from Anacortes.
Go to top of Mt Constitution, highest point in San Juans.
You will definitely know you're not in Texas!

Ferry back same day to Anacortes unless you can find and want to spend $$ to stay on Orcas.

Alt would be a day bike trip to Lopez. All this is easy to search on the web.

Rainer with a day hike to ice is totally not Texas and worth doing.

I see it's about a 2.5 hour drive to Vancouver BC. Would that be an interesting side trip? ...

The Washington State US/Canada border crossings on busy major highways seem to take forever. Such crossings can take a half hour, a whole hour, or even more.

Vancouver is an interesting city. Spend at least two nights and a whole day there. A day's round-trip to/from Seattle would spend all your time driving.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We are trying to get everyone's schedule together so we can buy airfare.

Back
Top Bottom