We're new here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karendgal

Hello everyone,
My husband and I are new to the forum!

We're landlocked at the moment in Oklahoma but we hope to have a boat sometime in the near future. We have to sell our land first or trade our land for a trawler.

So far we are leaning towards a 53 ft 1988 DeFever. We plan to live aboard as we travel and we are so looking forward to the day we can get started.

Thanks,
Karen & Dave

Welcome. Nice boat, hope it works out for you.

Welcome aboard.
I too bought a 1988 boat. A good choice if it was taken care of well.

Richard

Last edited:
Nice boat to start out on! Just kidding. I'd love to have a DeFever. Very nice boats.

Not to be a wet blanket, but just a tiny reality check, so to speak. What you are planning sounds a bit, well...Sir Humphrey Appleby, (did you ever watch "Yes Minister" - if not you should - really funny - it's on Netflix), would describe it as 'courageous'. Might I respectfully suggest you consider something akin to dipping the toes in the water first. Going straight to land-locked existence to living aboard is a fairy big jump Have you hired a boat and spent a couple of weeks aboard, several times - that sort of thing..? If not, while waiting to buy, I strongly suggest you consider this.

Hello everyone,

We're landlocked at the moment in Oklahoma but we hope to have a boat sometime in the near future. We have to sell our land first or trade our land for a trawler.

So far we are leaning towards a 53 ft 1988 DeFever. We plan to live aboard as we travel and we are so looking forward to the day we can get started.

Thanks,
Karen & Dave

PeterB offers good suggestions in addition to I am sure, happy to welcome you to the forum. Yes, a your choice of boat will have many of us 'Poor Folk" envious. To which segment of our wonderful world are you anticipating traveling? With direction, other specific forum members of that area may offer worth while suggestions.

So- Welcome from Southern Southeast Alaska:flowers:

PeterB offers good suggestions in addition to I am sure, happy to welcome you to the forum. Yes, a your choice of boat will have many of us 'Poor Folk" envious. To which segment of our wonderful world are you anticipating traveling? With direction, other specific forum members of that area may offer worth while suggestions.

So- Welcome from Southern Southeast Alaska:flowers:

Touché..! Al of Ketchikan...you are right...I missed out the 'welcome to the forum' bit, :oops: I was so concerned re their relative lack of 'exposure'. :eek: Let me now make amends and add my welcome, Karen & Dave, and don't let what I, or anyone else says, put you off, just take it on board, and use whatever advice fits the needs. :thumb:

Peter,

I also looked (assumed) at it differently. I thought they had been thinking reading about this a long time, lurking also, as I was, because to be so specific about the particular boat they want shows some prior knowledge.

It's not like GG who had a list of boats from A to Z and who just wanted to hear us talk and talk and talk and talk and talk

Welcome and Ahoy!

Do you have experience in "pleasure" boating or living aboard a boat for extended periods?

If yes on either count then you can probably "weather the storm" of newly becoming a boat owner.

If no on either count then you have a steep learning curve ahead.

Be careful to learn all you can before jumping in as live aboard and users of a boat.

This ain't rocket science... but it is boating science - a whole world of it's own!

Happy Boat Search Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Karen & Dave
Welcome Aboard. Wow, you really are landlocked there. Since you did not mention any previous boating experience I would also suggest giving it a try by chartering a smaller boat while you are waiting to buy. A 53 DeFever is a heck of a first boat, but we have all seen people who buy a bigger boat than their experience level would suggest and boating becomes a chore. The boat never leaves the dock because they are afraid they cannot handle it and they eventually sell it and never buy another boat. It is called "pleasure boating" for a reason. Get a boat that you are comfortable with and trade up later if you decide you want to. You have a good idea, just need to get all the details worked out. Good Luck

Welcome aboard. I disagree with some of my invisible colleagues in that, I feel that 1) you have chosen an awesome boat, 2) every new adventure has a learning curve, 3) if you really have a passion for this you will learn
4) get the boat you want now, don't go for less and trade up later, it's a sure way to lose money. 5) May as well learn in comfort and safety if you can afford it.

Also a smaller boat might discourage you or your wife due to tight quarters or performance in heavy weather.

I say go for it, if it is your dream and are ready to face the realities of living aboard you will have an awesome time.

Thank you everyone for welcoming us to this forum. I appreciate all of your posts because it really shows you're all good and caring people.

My husband has a lot of experience boating but he was on a lake not the ocean. On the other hand, I grew up in Florida and have been on several boats over the years, but I don't have any experience driving or being responsible for anything.

We have a steep learning curve but I have always loved the sea and I couldn't image my life complete without getting a boat and experiencing all the good and bad that comes with it. I know the ocean and I have a healthy respect of what it can do so we're making our decisions very thoughtfully and seriously.

Our plan is to go down to the Caribbean and island hop for awhile. If we survive and all goes well, we may go further.

Your input is so appreciated, the good and the bad.
Thank so much everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom