Raw Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Ok I had to get towed in tonight for overheating . I just replaced my impeller about three weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that the new one is shot now . To late to get started working on it tonight . I've put about 10 hrs on the new impeller and it's been running fine until late today . Engine is Perkins 3.654 NA. My pump is an Oberdofer . Would you replace it with the same or some other brand . This one has a keyed shaft for the impeller . I'm thinking I would like one with a spline shaft so I don't have to worry about key . What are my options? When I replaced the impeller three weeks ago I had a hard time getting the pump to prime .

Last edited:
The engine is 6.354 not a 3.654 :facepalm:a little dyslexia there .

I would suggest the pump may not be the issue at all. An impeller should last a lot longer than that and the fact you had a hard time priming suggests other issues may be in play. Have you confirmed that your raw water intake screen, hose and strainer are clear and not sucking air. That is where I would start. A new pump would be even more expensive if it doesn't cure the problem IMHO. Good luck.

I would suggest the pump may not be the issue at all. An impeller should last a lot longer than that and the fact you had a hard time priming suggests other issues may be in play. Have you confirmed that your raw water intake screen, hose and strainer are clear and not sucking air. That is where I would start. A new pump would be even more expensive if it doesn't cure the problem IMHO. Good luck.

Replaced pump face o ring and strainer o ring . No problem with the priming and it looks like it's putting out plenty water . The impeller showed no damaged . I'm still getting some air bubbles in strainer .
Thanks

Last edited:
Take a look downstream of the pump where the hose goes into the block. This is a common spot to collect old pieces of broken impeller blades. If you have never had that end of the hose off there may be a blockage caused by decades of accumulated bits of impellers.

Ok When I replaced the impeller three weeks ago I had a hard time getting the pump to prime .

Did you put any lube in the pump to help the vanes? I always use liquid dish soap to do that. It lubes the vanes untill the water arrives but it also improves the seal of the vanes and the impeller ends so prime is more positive.

Any air leaks on the suction side of the pump will also reduce water pumping and priming.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom