Engine room ventilation conduit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hello,
I just spent the whole weekend working on the boat, doing maintenance an repairs. On the list was to unmount all 4 engine room air in/out vents from the hull to redo the caulk as the PO was a silicon lover doubled with a man wanted to save on caulking, this lead to having silicon on screws but nowhere else and so of course in leaks.
The guys used drier conduit between the vents and the engine room but these are really not very resistant.
So the question here is: What are you using for ventilation in your ER?
Am I too closed minded to think that a dryer tube is not the correct thing?

Thank you for your help and stay tuned as I have now tons of questions :)

L.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You may want to use this stuff BUT keep in mind it IS rigid but prone to damage (It dents/squishes easily). IF you can install it in semi-protected areas it should last very well given you boat in fresh water.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.semi-duct-with-collars-4-inch-x-6-foot.1000660659.html
You can get it in larger or smaller diameters with or without the collars...
p_1000502343.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You may want to use this stuff BUT keep in mind it IS rigid but prone to damage (It dents/squishes easily). IF you can install it in semi-protected areas it should last very well given you boat in fresh water.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.semi-duct-with-collars-4-inch-x-6-foot.1000660659.html
You can get it in larger or smaller diameters with or without the collars...
p_1000502343.jpg

Thank you my dear Mr RTF!
I looked at it but my vent is 3 inches diameter and found only 4 inchs diameter metallic ones. My conduits are in protected space between the outer hull and inner hull (well better say inner wood frame).
I guess there is no real issue using dryer plastic conduit as it is only air but thought it was a bit on the cheap side :)

L.

As a general rule I was told not to use metal dryer vent because it will carry current. If something touches it or it falls on an unprotected battery it will short out and possibly cause a fire. I would think that most surveyors would ding you for using metal vent hose IMHO. Use the plastic stuff that you find in a marine store.

Use thin wall 3" PVC

I would second the thin wall PVC. If you can route it it will not sag between supports. Also smooth inside so it will flow more air.

PVC lasts longer. I am on or near salt water all the time. The metal dryer duct corrodes fast. For me 2-3 years maximum life. I use PVC for my dryer and for bilge vents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom