Hi Y'all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henning

Veteran Member
I have already made my presence known in GD, so I suppose it's about time I introduce myself properly. I grew up on sailboats, but late stages of teenage rebellion led me to become a motorboat mechanic. I'm presently 35 years of age, living in Norway on my 40' Steel Lady, working full time as yard mechanic at a Yanmar dealership.

Boating is a major passion and full-time lifestyle for me. It has taken me to such varied corners as the Cowes week, through the F2 circus to sailing as engineer on an old research vessel used as a yacht. The love of sailing never quite left my system, and I still sail with friends, as well as doing a tiny bit of passage skippering. I'm even considering a large sailboat as my next project.

I have developed rather strong views on boats an seamanship, and I'll do my best to state them respectfully while keeping my tendency towards deadpan sarcasm in check. This place looks like bunches of fun :)

Oh, and I might have bit of more than I can chew according to the "pics or it didn't happen" policy, but here's an old video of me with some boats: Cold day

EDIT: Formatting because the forum software embedded the video in-line with the text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JmZM6ltOWA

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

You have an interesting background and your English is VERY good for a Norwegian. Are you originally from Norway?

I'm Norwegian by birth, but I got into my mom's Nevil Shute stash at an early age. Subsequent American girlfriends did some language damage, but I get by :p

Welcome aboard! Get ready for lots of Yanmar questions. I presume that you mostly deal with the smaller sailboat engines?

David

There's a lot of sailboats with engines up to JH size, but also a few mid-powered semi-displacement boats. I'm currently re-powering a Sun Quest 44, replacing FPT 8361s with a pair of LYs, but that's less typical.

I'll do my best to answer questions, of course, but I should maybe mention that I've only been in this particular job for half a year, and my background is with other brands.

Welcome aboard, now I know an engine can be started with wd40!

L.

" working full time as yard mechanic at a Yanmar dealership."

I have developed rather strong views on boats and seamanship, and I'll do my best to state them respectfully while keeping my tendency towards deadpan sarcasm in check.
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to throwing some Yanmar questions at you and sampling some of that "deadpan sarcasm." :blush:

6LY2A-STP(s)

Attachments

• Port Engine.jpg
    Port Engine.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 83
Hell - You're a spitten image of some of my lobster fisherman friends in Maine. Same general garb, same general ice on water, same general candor!... vastly different boats/engines. Good to see ya on TF!!

Happy Boat-Life Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Welcome! Thank you for sharing the video. My Vashon was originally powered with a SABB diesel--they are real slow turning diesels! I love the sound!

Thanks, this truly is a friendly bunch :)

@Codger2: That's an extremely clean and tidy engine room!

@Vashon_Trawler: That's the most adorable boat in your avatar. It reminds me a lot of the double enders that were popular as recreational boats in Scandinavia in the 60s and 70s. The same general hull form with a smaller wheel house is still used extensively for commercial fishing and other general duties up North. They are a lot more capable than you'd think, and will comfortably survive wave heights well in excess of their LOA. It pains me that the recreational ones are getting scrapped when the engine dies. Nice to see one taken care of :)

Welcome aboard from fjord-ish north coast BC, Canada :thumb:

Welcome. Great video. I think you will be an enjoyable addition to TF.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom