Another newbie from downunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc57

Vessel Name
River Banks
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32- 666
Hello - I am another Australian who is new to this forum and to powerboats. I have recently sold my sail boat and purchased a 1980 GB32 called "River banks". Looking forward to learning a lot. Thanks in advance!

BTW - my boat is moored in Sydney harbour, can any of the Sydneysiders on this forum recommend a good diesel mechanic who is familiar with Ford Lehman engines?

Marc57

Hi Marc welcome

Sad to say but there is a massive shortage of any good diesel mechanic anywhere in Sydney / Hawkesbury area . Be very careful on who you chose some are absolute thief's . Was only yesterday I was told of a mechanic that had removed 2 Volvos that had just passed survey and had quoted $100000 in repairs.

May I ask what problems you have ??

˙ǝʇɐɯ pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ

Sorry to burst your bubble RTF, but it has now been discovered the hemispheres were named wrongly way back, and actually it is the Northern hemi which is upside down, just sayin' :popcorn:

Welcome aboard Marc. The good thing about Lehmans is just about anyone can work on them because they are old school straightforward engines.
There is someone I could recommend at Balmain if the area suits.
You can get most parts from American Diesel Corp in USA, run by the Smith family who were involved in Lehman. Fredwarner1 on Ebay sells cooling system parts too, and is helpful. USPS works well for delivery.

Greetings,
Mr. PB. Not bursting my bubble at all. I already know of the incorrect naming of the hemispheres and indeed we, up here, DO read and write upside down BUT for your and your fellow "Northerners" benefit I, out of the goodness of my own heart, do the reversal to YOUR right-side-up so you don't have to. I was born at night but not LAST night...

rseRYN6UZCDUQ.gif

I saw an online practical test about which way water revolves around a basin plughole in the 2 hemispheres. surprisingly inconclusive, to say the least.

I think "River Banks" used to be moored at RQ up here in Brisbane.

If it is the same boat, it was a very nice and well kept version of the 32.

Hamish.

Hi Hamish
You are right "River Banks" was at RQ in Brisbane. I purchased her and she was trucked back down to Sydney. With the exception of the last few years she has spent most of her life on Sydney harbour or Pittwater. I believe that I am owner number 10 (Previous owner was diligent with the record keeping). She is in pretty good nick for an old girl.
Marc

A surveyor who regularly wrote an article for Modern Boating mag, here in Australia, lived aboard a Grand Banks 32 for years, so they are clearly a very efficient layout.

Welcome Marc.
I have a good allround mechanic for my 135 hp Perkins NA. Whereabouts are you based on Sydney Harbour. My guy tends to work only around Middle Harbour.

John

Hi & welcome Marc 57.

I'm pretty sure I have seen your boat in & around Pittwater a few years ago, I remembered the name.

Regarding FL120 mecanics I'll second Bruce that they are one of the easiest engines to work on, very old school, so finding a reputable guy should not be that difficult. I have a guy I have used for 20 odd years up here in Pittwater, however if you are moored in the harbour you would be better off finding someone local.

MR RT, I note that your greeting was not only upside down BUT also back-to-front;

ǝʇɐɯ pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ

I can only assume this is in deference to not only to the Land Downunder, but also the fact that your VP Mike Pence landed in Sydney this morning(presumably on his way to Korea, via Tasmania) :oops: sorry mods

Last edited:
˙˙˙sǝɯᴉʇ ʇɐ ʇlnɔᴉɟɟᴉp os ǝq uɐɔ slɐᴉuoloɔ no⅄ ˙פ∀ ˙ɹW
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ

200w.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble RTF, but it has now been discovered the hemispheres were named wrongly way back, and actually it is the Northern hemi which is upside down, just sayin' :popcorn:

Come on guys everybody knows now that earth is flat so there is no hemisphere!

˙˙˙sǝɯᴉʇ ʇɐ ʇlnɔᴉɟɟᴉp os ǝq uɐɔ slɐᴉuoloɔ no⅄ ˙פ∀ ˙ɹW
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ

200w.gif

Not nearly as difficult as those pesky Yanks and Canadians, RTF. Remember...I know where you live... :D

Oh Oh, it's turning into one of those threads

You do know we have Pence visiting here right now? Today he was upsetting the animals at the Zoo. A real zoo, Taronga in Sydney.

Back
Top Bottom