Butyl Tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Should I store butyl tape in the refrigerator or just in the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,
Mr. k. I don't think there is any advantage to storing butyl tape in the refrigerator BUT I would suggest putting it in a zip-lock bag to store. It's very sticky stuff and might pick up any stray dust or dirt drifting around your shop.

I store my butyl tape in a ziplock bag at room temp. It's been fine for probably 4-5 years...maybe longer. Mine is the stuff sold by Compass Marine and I think it's better quality than most brands. Others may not store as well.

I like the idea of the zip-loc bag. Great suggestion!

I just keep mine in the box it came in.

I've stored butyl tape in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator, in the wine cooler, and at room temperature; no method of which ever made it good or preserved it. I've used a LOT of concoctions of butyl tape... a LOT....and I can tell you hands down that no one, I mean NO ONE, matches the right recipe for butyl tape as this guy... ***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com.

I've bought and used a lot of butyl tape, and no one's butyl tape is made like, or sticks like, or is waterproof like, that guy's. I've got no financial interest in his tape, but I am now going back and replacing all the crap butyl tape I used no less than 3 years ago that is already leaking. His stuff is like chewing gum... the same kind of stuff Hatteras used almost 40 years ago and is still "sticky". Be damn sure when you apply it that that is where you want it because where it makes contact, it sticks. Like contact cement. I had two windows that leaked for 11 years, despite my efforts to solve it. That particular recipe for butyl tape cured it once and for all.

Last edited:
I have not used much in the past but the tape made by Compass Marine is of the highest quality I have seen !!!

Should you trim off the extra tape that comes out from under your project when bolted down?

Yes, trim off the excess after tightening. It usually takes several iterations of tightening to finally get the fitting down tight. I usually tighten it once a day for three days then trim the excess.

"Yes, trim off the excess after tightening. It usually takes several iterations of tightening to finally get the fitting down tight. I usually tighten it once a day for three days then trim the excess."

I can see doing this under a high load item , crane or windlass base , but goop is the seal between the parts , what purpose does squeezing most it out under a hatch serve?

"Yes, trim off the excess after tightening. It usually takes several iterations of tightening to finally get the fitting down tight. I usually tighten it once a day for three days then trim the excess."

I can see doing this under a high load item , crane or windlass base , but goop is the seal between the parts , what purpose does squeezing most it out under a hatch serve?

In general you want any fitting to be tightened to the point that you get very little movement. The butyl tape doesn't need to be thick to do its job, it just needs to fill all the voids. The tape is thicker than the interface between the parts, so that is why it ooses out.

In general you want any fitting to be tightened to the point that you get very little movement. The butyl tape doesn't need to be thick to do its job, it just needs to fill all the voids. The tape is thicker than the interface between the parts, so that is why it ooses out.
Agree...
Thats what happens w less viscous sealants. If you feel more comfortable with thicker put a washer under the fitting to leave a min thkness of sealant.

"In general you want any fitting to be tightened to the point that you get very little movement."

ANY" little" movement is going to test the seals stickability and flexability , not crushing it out would seem to make more sense as very "little" movement might exceed the goops ability to stretch and maintain a seal.

Different ships , different long splices, I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom