What is this cord for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
Found this cord in with my spare inventory that came with the boat. Anyone know what it for?

Thanks
Norm

IMG_8301.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8301.JPG
    IMG_8301.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_8300.JPG
    IMG_8300.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 209
Phone...not sure if it includes cable.

phone or internet through dsl

Yup, that there is an old timey telephone cable. Back in the olden days telephones weren't smart and they had to be connected to wires to work.

I still have one of those.
Guess it's time to trash it. :)

I still have one of those.
Guess it's time to trash it. :)

I'm still hanging on to mine. Haven't figured out what I'm going to use it for yet. If I cut off the connectors, the cable has got to be good for something, right? :confused:

I'm still hanging on to mine. Haven't figured out what I'm going to use it for yet. If I cut off the connectors, the cable has got to be good for something, right? :confused:

Used the cable for 12v power to a couple of fans. Has worked for three years so far.

Used the cable for 12v power to a couple of fans. Has worked for three years so far.

I once suggested to Marinco folks that they make a similar plug for 12v power applications. It is really much nicer than those damn cigarette lighter plugs.

Thanks I had no idea!

Greetings,
Unless the wire gauge is 14 or better I would strongly caution against altering it to an extension cord. I've never had ours apart but I'm guessing 18 gauge or less. I would still hang onto it but that's just me...

If it's 3 wire, I would hang on to it ... Just change the ends to make an ext. cord ... FB

Not so fast fellas. Before deciding to make an extension cord or 12 volt supply cord out of this, you need to know the gauge of the conductors. Quite possibly they are 18 gauge or smaller.

The company I work for uses these plugs for 'remote rudder commands'. Meaning two button (port - starboard) extension cords so you can walk away from the helm and change rudder. Or sit back in a chair and steer. But this only works on analog controls. Not 'new fangled' stuff.

We still visit a few marinas with a place to plug those in...but I doubt many connected hard lines remain on the docks.

What is the market value of copper?

This cord has a couple of 22 ga phone wires in it I believe...maybe less gauge ....

Not worth the drive to the recycle place.

I saved mine thinking signal wire someday..then just tossed it as it is 10 times ghicker in coating/insulation than needed.

Yeah, I had one but couldn't find any electrical value for it.. Made a heck of a good whip for the cat, though!

Attachments

• whipping the cat.jpg
    whipping the cat.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 363
I once suggested to Marinco folks that they make a similar plug for 12v power applications. It is really much nicer than those damn cigarette lighter plugs.

yes, that would have been nice, as the cig plugs are getting worse and worse.

I have one of those . I bought a nice shore power cord from my dock neighbor as a spare and he threw it on the deal . It's still coiled up with wire ties on it , never been used .

Poll:

How many people here have a boat that's wired for a phone ?

How many people keep a conventional telephone on board to use this cord and a marina's telephone wiring?

I don't.

Poll:

How many people here have a boat that's wired for a phone ?

How many people keep a conventional telephone on board to use this cord and a marina's telephone wiring?

I don't.
My boat came wired and had an analog cell phone.
Obviously it is no longer in service, I'm going to resurrect it though. Since the boat has a network I'm going to replace the cell with a VOIP controller.
This way as long as there is internet the phone will be active. Yes I do still have my personal cell.

I have never seen a cable like that for phone, but I have seen it for 12Vdc power points.

I have a shore plug for cable and land line (phone)

It is definitely a phone cord.

................ I have a shore plug for cable and land line (phone)

I installed an inlet for cable TV and use it where it's available (sadly, not at my home marina), but I never thought of wiring my boat for telephone service. I wouldn't wire it for computers either.

I installed an inlet for cable TV and use it where it's available (sadly, not at my home marina), but I never thought of wiring my boat for telephone service. I wouldn't wire it for computers either.

I have Sat TV so I have never used the hook ups.

Interesting that the OP is a phone cable.....

Talk about obsolete......:angel:

Was a phone installer / repairman back in the day in Olympia. Installed a fair amount of those. Pretty cool stuff to have a phone on your boat. DO NOT use those for any kind of AC extension cord. They are very small gauge wire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom