Portager finally pulled the trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portager

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Nimble Wanderer
Bet ya thought I'd never pull the trigger. Well I finally did it. For those who don't know, I've been dreaming of getting a trailerable cruising boat for over 40 years, which is why my username is Portager on this and many other forums. I finally purchased a 2000 Nimble Wanderer motorsailer named Osprey last Wednesday 3/15/17. I choose the Nimble Wanderer because it is legally trailerable and it was very affordable, which left money in the budget to cover deferred maintenance (refinish the bright work, bottom paint, ...), make some upgrades like adding bow and stern thrusters (to minimize docking stress and simplify single handed operation), repair the trailer and buy a comfortable and capable tow vehicle to haul her on our adventures.

We purchased a 2017 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali, which has more than adequate towing capacity, because I heard boats grow when you put them in water and the 3500 HD will tow the boat we might upgrade to if Osprey turns out to be too small. Also the 2017 has a more powerful engine, front collision warning, lane departure alert and I can get an integrated trailering camera package. This package consists of a blind stop camera in each side mirror and a wireless camera for the rear of the trailer that display on the navigation screen when you use the blinker or reverse.

So far the repairs to the trailer are complete! It has all new disk brake assemblies, 6 new tires, 2 new spares and all new LED lights. Everything has been checked out and is 100% operable.

On Friday we are scheduled to pull Osprey out of the water and load her onto the trailer. Then a yet to be selected boat transport service will haul her the 2,600 miles from Florida to her new home in Southern California. Then we'll get the registration done before taking her to a boatyard for repairs and upgrades.

Well done! Congrats on your new baby. Now let's see some more pics of your girl!

What's the boat/trailer weight and size, especially width? Do you require permits to tow?

Congrat's. Why are you getting a boat transport service when you just bought a capable towing truck? Is there something I'm missing?

Portager,
How long is that NW? Do'nt think I've seen one that big. I like it a lot so far. Looks very easily driven. Power?

Well done! Congrats on your new baby. Now let's see some more pics of your girl!

What's the boat/trailer weight and size, especially width? Do you require permits to tow?

Haven't gotten a chance to weigh her yet, but the motorsailer version is quoted to weigh 8,800 lbs, so I'm guessing it is around 10,000 on the trailer. Beam is 8' 6" and height on the trailer is <13' 6". No permits are required.

Congrat's. Why are you getting a boat transport service when you just bought a capable towing truck? Is there something I'm missing?

The trucker can get a load for the return, so he is only charging for one-way. I'd have to do the round trip, 5,200 miles and 74 hours of driving. By the time I add up the value of vacation used, fuel and hotel rooms the cost is more than the most of the bids I've gotten. I figure if it isn't saving me money, I'd rather save my vacation to use on the boat later.

Portager,
How long is that NW? Do'nt think I've seen one that big. I like it a lot so far. Looks very easily driven. Power?

The Wanderer is 32' 5" length overall and 29' 3" LWL. Power is a 75 HP Yanmar 4JH4 TE single screw. Draft is 2' 10". Cruise speed is 7 to 10 knots. She did 11.3 knots WOT during sea trials.

Congratulations on the new boat!

Ted

That there opens up a whole heap of possibilities! Congratulations on the long term tenacity of your dream :thumb:

Congratulations., nice boat . You gonna have some fun with all that .

Portager is a great guy to work with. He really knows his stuff and will no doubt have her in great shape. It's great to see a client's dreams come to reality! Life is short.

So you bought the Wanderer that has been for sale in Fort Pierce for the last 3-4 years? Always wondered why there was so little interest in it.

So you bought the Wanderer that has been for sale in Fort Pierce for the last 3-4 years? Always wondered why there was so little interest in it.

Yes, I bought the one that was in Fort Pierce. I was watching it for 2.5 years, but it was way over priced. When they dropped the price to $50K around January 1st, I decided we could negotiate the rest of the way to market value.

Portager is a great guy to work with. He really knows his stuff and will no doubt have her in great shape. It's great to see a client's dreams come to reality! Life is short.

Mark Bowerman was great to work with and a really big help in getting the deal done.

Portager

Your rationale for moving the vessel makes sense to me. Some years ago I had a similar size trailer boat. I could move it a mile or two to launch it with my Suburban but a true 1 ton + pickup was the safe highway hauler of choice. I did not have a 1 ton rig and time and cost to rent one were not favorable to using a commercial small rig hauler.

Will you offload fuel for the haul?

Great looking boat. Hope it has a safe journey to it's new home and you get many years of enjoyment from her!

Re what Mark said several years ago this Nimble hull is a slicer.

Portager

Your rationale for moving the vessel makes sense to me. Some years ago I had a similar size trailer boat. I could move it a mile or two to launch it with my Suburban but a true 1 ton + pickup was the safe highway hauler of choice. I did not have a 1 ton rig and time and cost to rent one were not favorable to using a commercial small rig hauler.

Will you offload fuel for the haul?

I have the truck to tow it, but it doesn't make financial sense for me to take the time off work to do it.

Yes, the fuel will be offloaded and the water tank emptied for the trip.

Yes, I bought the one that was in Fort Pierce. I was watching it for 2.5 years, but it was way over priced. When they dropped the price to $50K around January 1st, I decided we could negotiate the rest of the way to market value.

In that case it would seem you paid quite bit more for the truck than the boat.:D

In that case it would seem you paid quite bit more for the truck than the boat.:D

Yes, but I'm not done repairing and upgrading the boat. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom