Old TV8-540 Perkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I'm considering buying a Trawler in Maine that has a single 320 hp V8 Perkins that's obsolete and hard to get parts for. It's fresh water cooled and has been in Maine for the past 12 years. I'm going to repower the boat once I get it back to NC. The boat has been out of the water for the past three years and only started once each season while on the hard. My question is this. If the engine and transmission performs normal during the sea trail what all should I do before heading south? I plan to replace the raw water impeller, belts, oil, filters ( and have spare fuel filters onboard. But what about the exhaust manifolds, heat exchanger, oil cooler, transmission cooler? I know that none of the engine accessories have been changed in the past 12 years.
Also what about the shaft packing and rudder packing if it seems normal during the sea trail?
Is the marine environment in Maine less aggressive on things like the manifolds and heat exchangers than in the warmer Carolina waters?
I'm trying not to spend anymore on the engine than necessary since I'm repowering the boat , but I do want it to make the trip. Any thoughts or suggestions other than run from it.LOL
Also, any recommendations on reasonable boat repair facilities from Penobscot Bay Maine to the Carolina's
as well as any to stay away from would be appreciated .

Thanks

Do what you planned,. Oil and such.

If the engine doesn't overheat and runs well at seatrial then take it home.

The stuff boxes , if they don,t leak excessively, do an adjustment. Maybe redo the packing as it SHOULD be inexpensive. If repack is needed it will most likely be the prop. shaft.

Unless an obvious problem shows do not start replacing big, expensive stuff since you say you are going to repower. Even if an immediate repower is not planned don,t go nuts.

Odds are decent it will get you home as long as it runs well and you run it easily.

If the engine is running fine why to repower it? Even if it is hard to find parts, if running fine it won't cost you a penny and you will be able to repower it the day it brakes, if ever it brakes.
My boat engine is even more exotic than your perkins but works like a charm and I would bet I will die before it. The only parts I need for now are things like oil filter, fuel filter, oil pressure sensor etc that are not really engine related and easy to find.

Just a thought :)

Lou has a god point.
That old girl may have many years in it yet if given some help.
Lots of old engines still run well.
If you want to go to odd and remote places that,s maybe different.
Your choice of course.

The engine was sold for many other uses including farming, industrial and used in fire trucks that I know of. It was made into the 1990s. Many engine rebuilders probably have part sources not easily found by the public. There are companies that make replacement parts for many out of production engines. Several Chinese companies make diesel parts. As long as the block and heads are ok, it can be rebuilt.
Try your local firehouse and see what engines they are using and where they get rebuilding parts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom