NC Gulf Stream/Off-Shore Fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
A bunch of us, around a dozen, would like to do a little offshore fishing later this Spring or early Summer. A quick scan of the charters looks like most sportfishers are capped at 6 passengers by the CG.

Is that the deal? Or can we charter a private party, off-shore trip for a larger group?

Obviously, I know nothing about this business, but it looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. BL. I think 6 is the maximum number on a lot of charter boats (6 pack license) all along the east coast. Now, it depends on what sort of "offshore" fishing you want to do and where in NC you depart from. The Gulf Stream is closest to shore around the Outer Banks/Morehead City area so it's about 35 to 40 miles off. Another alternative, although maybe not as exciting but possibly just as productive, weight-wise, is a drift boat which bottom fishes along reefs and wrecks. They can usually take lots of passengers. Please leave some for spawning purposes...

Yes as RTF notes, there is a significant jump from 6 passanger licensed captain/uninspected boat charters to more than 6. The license requirements and especially the inspection requirements get more onerous.

Why not charter two 6 pack boats. Unless you are jigging from the sides like a head boat, two boats will double the fun- more lines off of the stern.

David

Greetings,
Mr. dj. HEAD BOAT! That's it. How I came up with drift boat is anyone's guess... Thanks

A bunch of us, around a dozen, would like to do a little offshore fishing later this Spring or early Summer. A quick scan of the charters looks like most sportfishers are capped at 6 passengers by the CG.

Is that the deal? Or can we charter a private party, off-shore trip for a larger group?

Obviously, I know nothing about this business, but it looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks

Where exactly are you looking to do this?

Where exactly are you looking to do this?

Folks will be coming in from as far north as Vermont and as far west as Charlotte. So we're been looking at the Outer Banks.

Folks will be coming in from as far north as Vermont and as far west as Charlotte. So we're been looking at the Outer Banks.

I would say charter the Cajun Rose from Paul (swampu) but alas the illegal charter thread is thoroughly and comprehensively pissing on that sack of charcoal.

BL, going from the Outerbanks means that the Gulf Steam will be much closer. Probably about 20 miles offshore. The problem you may face is Oregon Inlet. It can be very bad. Call the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. They can get you the info on all the charters working out of there. Those guys are salty as they come, and are amazing boat handlers. If the Capt. is hesitant about going don't push it!!! Oregon inlet is shallow and shoally.

If you want to try Morehead City call the Yacht Basin there. They usually have some charters working out of there. I think the Capt. Stacy fleet of head boats still work out of the waterfront. The inlet is good at Morehead.

Thanks, Don. We have 2 people supposedly working the phones in the area now. If they don't come up with anything I'll make calls myself to the places you recommended.

Oh, and I am entirely a fair-weather sailor. If I don't like the weather I'm not going out, even if the rest of the party does. I'm looking for a little fun, not a white knuckle adventure.

Craig, yeah, after I posted my question I noticed the "illegal charters" thread and thought - Damn! We're hosed. But .... maybe not.

The yacht basin in Morehead is not a charter fishing location. The waterfront is across the road, where there are some good fishermen. Of course the closest location to the stream is Hatteras, which is more remote to access from the mainland.

In May and early June the fishing is generally better out of Morehead and Hatteras. Some of the boats from OI will actually fish out of Hatteras for that reason. May is an incredible time for what is called gaffer Dolphin. There are the larger ones that's mixed in with the Blue Marlin. If you are meat fishing and not wanting to go on a head boat, go with two boats for sure, depending on the amount of people, giving you a better chance to maximize your fish catches.

If you need some contacts, let me know. Capt. Stacy is located at Atlantic Beach and has some charter boats located at his docks too. You can actually call the fishing center and inquire. He has an inshore charter boat himself that's rated for more passengers than six, IIRC.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, folks. We're going with the 2 boat solution and, it looks like we'll be working with this company:

Welcome

We caught fish!

Attachments

• IMG_20170602_060613202.jpg
    IMG_20170602_060613202.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20170602_080152420.jpg
    IMG_20170602_080152420.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20170602_164512747.jpg
    IMG_20170602_164512747.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20170602_165118971.jpg
    IMG_20170602_165118971.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 77
Thanks! And the other boat in our group spent most of their time wreck fishing and came back with 140 pounds of Amberjack.

Baked Mahi Mahi on Saturday night, grilled Amberjack last night. I think we'll have chicken tonight!

Back
Top Bottom