arm chair rest pads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

The arm rest of my 3 chairs on the flybridge of my 34 Mainship trawler need replacement ( mold can not be removed). but manufacture is not resonable on cost for replacement. I was thinking of a pad I could put over the arm rest?

Does anyone out there have similar problem and solution.
Regards.

assuming they are simply vinyl just take then to an automotive seat shop or a boat canvas shop for recovering.

You could paint them but I have never liked the result.

I removed ours, added new closed cell for more comfort and had canvas shop recover..so far so good.

The arm rest of my 3 chairs on the flybridge of my 34 Mainship trawler need replacement ( mold can not be removed). but manufacture is not resonable on cost for replacement. I was thinking of a pad I could put over the arm rest?

Does anyone out there have similar problem and solution.
Regards.

As so often happens, there's not enough information provided to give intelligent and useful replies. What is meant by "manufacture is not resonable on cost for replacement" ?

What is wrong with the arms other than "mold can not be removed"? Are they otherwise OK? What are they made of or covered with? Wood? Plastic? Foam with a vinyl covering? A photo would help.

Good Idea...but I'm going to try Rus-o-leum Fabric and vinyl. They claim a flexible coating which I will need for the arm rest.

Have you tried your suggestion on your arm rest?

Regards and thanks

Greetings,
Mr. j. I have NOT tried the Krylon spray on flexible plastic (good point) but I sprayed a 1 gallon red plastic gas can yellow for use with diesel in the ER to use when topping up filters. Stuff sticks really well even in contact with diesel drips.
I would think the Rust-o-leum might probably be a better product in your situation. I just read the Krylon description more closely and there is no mention of flexibility. Sorry, I should have read the description more carefully before suggesting that particular product.

Last edited:
If the problem is purely cosmetic, how about a quick coat of SEM or VHT refinishing products? They work well and hold up on auto interiors, so why not on a boat?

I'm guessing the OP has a post-2000 Mainship 34 Trawler. That model came with 3 Pompanette T2000 helm seats on the upper bridge.

That chair is know for discoloration on the armrests. While it looks like mold it probably isn't--I don't know of anyone who has successfully removed it. Best guess it is the result of a chemical interaction between the armrest material and.. suntan lotion? Who knows.

Other boats with the same seats suffer as well. See this Grady White thread for example. There is a note there that Pompanette would sell glue-on replacement covers.

I just cleaned mine and sprayed them Valspar Plastic paint. I spray some touch up coats every few years. Still on my first can of paint.

Attachments

• dirty-arm-rest.jpeg
    dirty-arm-rest.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 93
Rt firefly
The Rust-o-leum flexible vynal/fabric worked great. The only problem was only colors available in the sponch applicator was black and sand....but the sand looks good

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom