New (to us) Californian LRC 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbh

Vessel Name
Outer Marker
Vessel Make
Californian LRC 34
Hi all, my wife and I are the happy owners of a 1981 Californian LRC 34 "Outer Marker" SN 3416781. She has twin Cat NA 3208s and a 5Kw genset. I must admit I have been lurking on this site for over a year and have found some great information - it actually introduced us to the Californians. We picked the boat up just over a year ago and she has required some restoration and repairs (some known at the time of purchase and some surprises). We got out a fair amount this past summer and put her through her paces. We purchased her from the original owner who kept her in Vancouver BC and finally Comox and they ranged as far north as Alaska in their voyages. We have her back in Vancouver - are there any other Californians around locally? I have the original owners manual which I can post if anyone is interested (although I think someone has posted one already?), I also have a Webasto heater manual pdf available and a few other original equipment manuals as well. I'll try to get a list together.

One of the "surprises" has been a water leak in the aft quarters of the salon ceiling. I have removed the headliner along the edges and am trying to remove the exterior soffet wood - does anyone one have experience with this? The triangular exterior trim piece under the soffet does not come off after the screws have been removed - it seems like it has been glued in place
- any information would be appreciated.

Cheers, Herb

Attachments

• LRC 34.jpg
    LRC 34.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 63
  • LRC 34 SN.jpg
    LRC 34 SN.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 51
Welcome aboard from up coast a wee bit :thumb:

Sorry, can't help with your question, but somebody should along shortly who's been there / done that.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new boat.

Ted

Welcome to TF, Herb! I hope you'll find as much enjoyment in your 34 LRC as I do. They're great boats and with the 3208 Cats (200 HP?), you probably enjoy a lots more speed than I do. I had the chance to ride along in CHC's 34 with twin DD 250s at 23 Kts. That was quite a ride and one I'll never get to experience on FlyWright.

Have you looked into your rail beddings on the FB deck above the leak area? Any other deck hardware in that area above the leak? Cooler mount? Bench mount? Radar mast? I have not experienced a leak but since I keep my boat in a covered slip, I'm less prone to get leaks. If I ever moved into an uncovered slip, I'd first need to rebed all my rail stanchions to avoid leaks.

You might find better exposure with a thread dedicated to the topic of LRC 34 leaks in the Californian section. Lots of experienced and helpful folks there who might miss this thread in the Welcome Mat section.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom