GB 32 Actual Weight...26,000 Pounds???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldersalt

Vessel Name
Pacific Star
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Has anybody actually weighed their Grand Banks 32?

The specs on my 1990 Grand Banks 32 say its displacement is 17,000 pounds. When I had it hauled out for a bottom job last week the Travel Lift guy said it weighs 26,000 pounds! Even with full fuel and water tanks, 200 ft of chain in the bow, and a lazarette full of misc. stuff, I can't imagine that the added weight comes to more than 3 or 4,000 pounds. I'm assuming the Travel Lift meter is very inaccurate, but does anybody have any real data here?

Why does it matter? Prop guys says it doesn't make any difference, but I might want to go up a size or two on a new anchor (which of course is not a bad idea anyway)

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Oldersalt
1990 GB 32 "Pacific Star"

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

My 32 was a little over 13 tons last time it was hauled out.

Dunno about a GB32, but my similar sized 1977 34 LRC Californian is listed at 18000 Lbs. Last year when I hauled her, she tipped the scales right at 24000 according to the hoist. If mine are accurate, yours seem plausible.

The listed weight is "dry" weight. The dry weight does not include water, fuel, and "stuff". My GB42 has a dry weight of 34,000 pounds. I carry about 3,900 pounds of diesel and about 2,400 pounds of water when full. I have 450 feet of 5/16 chain and three anchors.... I have no idea how much my "stuff" weighs! I figure my boat can weigh up to 44,000 pounds depending on the above.

Last edited:
If the weight rises mysteriously, the reason may be water absorbed by the hull.

when the boat primed with epoxy?

may request that the moisture measuring your boat's hull.

Back
Top Bottom