Is it necessary to take a travel insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmmaJo

Hi there,
I am going to have my first cruising in this December. Since it is winter what all preparations do I have to take? Do I need to take any safety measures? Also, I saw an article https://www.aspirefcu.org/blog/life-advice/should-you-invest-in-travel-insurance/ about the travel insurance in a portal. I don't have any travel insurance but I have a whole life insurance yet. Do I have to take a travel insurance?

On your own boat or with someone else or are you paying to cruise?

If you own the boat with 0 loan banking finance you don't need any insurance. If you have loan bank financing they problem require insurance. Also most marins require liability insurance. Most insurance policies have requirments qualification and limited territory area coverage. It sounds like you might be talking about the limited area coverage so if you go out side of the area covered you need to buy change the area coverage. So contact your broker or read the policy area limitations.

It's not travel insurance but area covered. :flowers:

We have signed up for travel insurance twice.

We filed a claim one time when a kid got hurt on a trip and the insurance paid off without a problem.

We traveled to Europe this past summer to be on a boat for a couple of weeks and figured getting travel insurance was a good idea. Thankfully, we did not have to use it. However, when climbing up/down wet, slick ladders to/from land and a floating dock at midnight, in the dark, I was glad we had the insurance. :D

The insurance was a percentage of the amount of the trip we insured as well as the type of coverage taken. Our primary concern was for the insurance to pay for any health care bills we incurred AND pay to fly us home if required. That can be real expensive. I can't remember what we paid but it might have been 5-10% of the cost of the trip. Most of the cost of the trip was the plane tickets and a couple of nights in hotels.

It was worth the cost to us and thankfully we did not have to file a claim.

Later,
Dan

In one word, Yes.
You may take out travel medical insurance at any bank and typically they sell a specific time frame that you will be away or an annual policy that allows you multiple trips up to a specific number of days each trip but no limit on the number of trips. I usually buy the annual policy as my cruising takes me to the US several times a year, I visit my kids in Texas and take several one or two week holidays to Cuba.
This is the most economical for me. Your results may vary.

Has anyone even figured out whether the OP means boat cruising or cruise ship cruising?

Since she is from Toronto, where I am, I can only assume it is out of the country as we are all in winter mode by December. Either way she needs travel insurance whether in her own boat or on a cruise ship.

Has anyone even figured out whether the OP means boat cruising or cruise ship cruising?

No one has any earthly idea what the question is yet, but lot's of answers so you would think some are hitting it.

I guess the very generic term travel insurance doesn't give me warm and fuzzies about health insurance or return reimbursement...more about reimbursement about booking a trip.

There are multiple ways to handle health insurance...but that was not what was asked.

I understand language issues...but I hope to narrow those down with the question.

I THINK she's planning a vacation on a cruise ship (in which case trip insurance--which refunds your money if you have to cancel--is a very good idea!) and wandered into here by mistake. We'll know if she comes back.

Last edited:
GET TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR YOUR HEALTH insurance.
If you don't and you have a problem out of Canada it could bankrupt you. Even travelling province to province the coverage of one province to another can fool/cost you.

Do not play around. We travel to the US and we carry insurance . We know three couples, had they not done so they would have had expenses of somewhere around $100,000.

When we were on a ship cruise to the Panama, same thing we carry insurance.

Last edited:
I was lucky to have spent 10 days in ICU in a private hospital 40k from Tokyo + ambulance and evacuate back to Australia for an operation all up well over $100000 so yes insurance is worth it . And if you do happen to have existing conditions make sure they are listed in your policy because insurance company's love taking your money but look for any tiny excuse not to payout .

I guess the very generic term travel insurance doesn't give me warm and fuzzies about health insurance or return reimbursement...more about reimbursement about booking a trip...

The trip/travel insurance we have bought covered both airfares, hotel, etc expenses as well as hospitalization and air ambulance expenses. The company we used had different tiers of coverage so one could tailor the policy as one thought best.

One of the two times we have done this we had a claim. A family member got hurt on a trip and had to return home earlier than planned. The policy paid for the airfare, heath care bills, and the lost time of the trip. More than fair and they paid promptly after we provided documentation. This was on an Outward Bound trip and they recommended TravelEx which is who we used.

We don't do this for most trips, just ones were the risk, either from injury or expense, makes it worthwhile.

Read a blog about an incident in the Pacific islands were a woman was bit by a shark. Health care was enough to stabilize her but a jet air ambulance with a medical team on board flew out from Australia to pick her up. I think it took them a day to fly out, wait overnight, and then fly back the next day. I would hate to see that bill. :nonono:

The woman was ok in the end. :)

Later,
Dan

Emma, assuming you mean travel insurance for a commercial cruise...

We have been snowed out of winter vacations, and had to cancel because our airport wasn't open, etc. Travel insurance usually covers events like that. And presumably, Toronto enjoys snow, occasionally. :)

Our medical insurance works when we're out of country, but not everyone's does, so you'd want to check yours. Evacuation fees can be a factor should something critical happen, and travel insurance often covers that issue.

We have seen travel insurance as cheap, in the grand scheme of things.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom