What you do in real life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott2640

Veteran Member
I so admire the depth of knowledge on this forum and I'm having a great time learning new things. I see lots of really beautiful and I can only imagine high six figure boats in many of your avatars.

So my question is how did you get here? What kind of professions are represented on this forum, and to a larger extent, the crusing, trawler community?

Is this a hobby/lifestyle for the elite, or can a regular, upper middle class couple get into it? I have read post where people are talking about equipment, maintenance and repairs with $5000, $10,000 and more thrown around. Those are relatively big numbers to me.

Just curious if people started small when they were young and kept trading up or if you just grew up with something similar and just jumped in with two feet when you got older.

The costs don't necessarily scare me, I don't mind spending money on nice things with value. My limited knowledge leads me to believe this is not something you can do on the "cheap".

Petrolium Engineer. Worked 37 years for Schlumberger. Retired in April 2016.
Worked as subsea engineer for 14 of those 37 years.
I have had boats all my life. Built 2 on my own. Rainha Jannota my current trawler is the last one.

Rgs

Last edited:
We sea kayaked until I was 48, then my wife got into a car accident that changed the Rules of Life.

Bought Badger (our first boat) four years ago, and now we can still get 'out there' and our daughter will also grow up knowing in her bones how amazing the north coast of BC is.

I'm a large format fine art photographer who lucked out into a letter carrier job which supports our family and boating. No big bucks here. No high paying job or prestigious title. Our goal has always been to have a happy & humble, uncomplicated Life :thumb:

Last edited:
:dance::dance::dance: I retired . . . yesterday, actually . . . from the electric utility industry. :dance::dance::dance:

Well, Scott. I can't attest to the six figure yacht. What I can attest to is life on the water is different for different people and for different reasons. I too have had some sort of floating thing I have always called a boat. First one that was “mine” was a home built row boat that I found floating down the Elk river in north Alabama when I was about 10.. It was busted up a bit but still floated when we bailed her out. Had a blast paddling that hunk around. Lost it in unexpected high water one day. Guess it just moved on. :speed boat:Had a boat of some kind ever since. My real life occupation is former Electrician current procedure writer for an Electrical Power Plant. We too agree that spending money on something that enriches our lives is prudent. Our current boat is a very modest Mainship double cabin. Gas engines. We don’t travel very far. We enjoy the time on the water visiting with friends old and new. Life is just better when we are on the water, traveling or just floating.
What’s your story?
Dave.

Scott: This is really a three part question.

First. The job is just the end to pay the bills. But to make that pay I drive tugboats and pilot ships and tugs.

Deciding to buy a boat had to do with my age, my desire to tote my Grandkids around, and my Fathers inability to have a boat to retire with.

I wanted to make sure I could have a boat to enjoy while I was young enough to maintain it, and while I have disposable income to finance it.

I was fretting these questions you have, running around with relatives on older boats thinking 'gee, I would 'need' a 1. Newer 2. Shinier 3. Bigger4. Etc etc etc boat'. But when at a yacht club I had an epiphany. I saw an older couple (80's) on a Mainship MK1. Having the time of their life. As I got to know them I realized that they were having JUST as much fun that weekend as the 'Commodore' on his new half a million dollar boat.

After you read these forums you get the idea that we are all different. We all have different wants expectations and above all financial ability.

My overriding factor in choosing a boat is that I couldn't spend any more than I could stand to see on the bottom. I leave for two weeks at a time. I have no one near me to ' watch' my boat when I'm gone. Hurricane season gives the 'boss' stomach heaves while I'm gone.

Last edited:
Retired shipwright of nearly 30 years, in between jobs sailed on tugs on and off for a good share of my working life, licensed Operator for 200 tons/200 miles offshore (expired). Did some freelance writing for about 5 years, now retired from all!

Congrats Angus. You`ll love it.
Lawyer, but telling people I played piano in a gay brothel goes better.

Engineer for Boeing. It all depends on what you can live with. For me accepting the deck needs a little work but still a great boat and price. Others need the boat prefect before they buy. If you need perfect then you need more money.

Played piano. Neaver heard it called that before. I will work that in conversation soon!:rofl:
Thanks Bruce!

Sales Manager of a medium sized new home builder east of Toronto and side job is designing and prime contracting Marina Docking facilities. My main job is 90% boredom and 10% panic so I have the time to do the other. Was supposed to retire a few years ago but projects keep coming in and I keep saying yes.
But my boat is all tricked out, 2 fresh engines and I intend to spend my 70th birthday in dec 2017 on the hook in the Bahamas.
I am also a full time liveaboard, which is a little strange for a guy that markets new homes, but it works for me.

Per popular opinion, as an insurance guy, I count amongst my peer group:

-Used car salesmen
-Lawyers
-Politicians

Esteemed company, all!

E-t-r-e-p-r-e-n-e-u-r! to the highest degree.

First profitable biz was started in 6th grade.... Thank You!! Mr. McGlade [my 6th grade instructor]... for learning me more about life in general than any other teacher ever! I have never looked back.

Did work for others about 18 months off/on while fooling around traveling the U.S in early 20's. Not my preferred gig. Homey don't like that game. I lead... or I usually don't play. That said, pleased to sit side by side with other qualified leaders.

Boating is a pleasure-hobby to me and my lovely wife. Nothing more nothing less. I was brought up on/off boats from berth (birth - lol). Love pleasure boating and the water in general. Swimming - OH Yeah!!! Great for R&R while living a full life along other parameters.

TF is the only forum to which I belong for accomplishing general chat. TF is pretty darn cool... if you ask me. While I work other documents and thought patterns... contributing to and reading from others on TF provides lightness and relief/relaxation while also providing some good tips on boating as well as life.

Some pretty smart folks contribute here. The dumb ones need not be read or followed.

Happy Life Daze! - Art :thumb:

Scott

To be fair, what do/did you do in real life?

I am with Bruce, though not in the same gay bar. Retired in 2011, don't now understand how I ever had time to work, as the unstructured retired life takes all of my time. If I was still working, I couldn't do 1/2 of the things I can do now. Having a boat adds significantly to the quality of my post working life.

Retired from a large fire department in the LA area five years ago at 55. No millionaire here!

Retired USAF in 1994 (22 years keeping the slimy tentacles of communism from encircling the earth) and have worked for 22 years for same company all in telecommunications. Tried to retire from that job 4 years ago, but they wouldn't let me, kept me on retainer all summer working from the boat and then back to work in Sept until April. I was the second employee and we are up to 130 or so now. I guess I can keep that up for a few more years but really need more time off for hunting in the fall.

Tom

Graphic designer. I did the logo for this site but my day job is design in film and TV. Stargate SG-1, Stargate Universe, Stargate Atlantis, X-Men, Battlestar Galactica, Misson to Mars, X Files, Happy Gilmore, Psych etc. etc. etc. I like to say I have every 10 year old boy's dream job...I get to build spaceships :) Worked on The Flash last year but chose not to return this season so I could work on NBC's TIMELESS.
Hopefully retiring very soon. House is for sale and as soon as the ink is dry I'm pulling the plug and semi-retiring to Vancouver Island...tick, tick, tick

Last edited:
Retired and really enjoy it! 20 years in the USN then started my own Landscape Contrator business and sold it 18 months ago. Now I get to run away and travel to places On the bucket list. But the list grows more each day.
Would I like a bigger fancier boat? Sure, but afraid the cost to operate and maintain would distract from the places we want to go. A mans gotta have and understand his limits, assuming you do have limits.
Now a pianist in a gay bar...

Still working... :blush:

30+ years as a hands on Electronics, Power System, Networking, and SCADA tech/engineer.

I've designed, or overseen the construction of, or maintained in a O&M enviroment...

Substations
Power Generation systems
Power switching systems
SCADA systems for electrical, and petroleum companies
Under sea fiber systems
Microwave radio systems
Enterprise class industrial networks (I still hold a valid CCNP in Routing and Switching)

Last edited:
Mineral Exploration Geologist here, and I went to most parts of the world at some point although some visits were brief. Retired 10 years ago almost to the day, did some part-time consulting for a few years and then figured I needed to get serious about another boat. Work paid the bills for home renovations in a number of different cities as we moved around, and taking profits out of houses set us up to be comfortable in retirement.

First boat was a trailer boat 1980, and we then shared ownership of a 28' power cat with a friend who we dived/fished with all the time. But by the late 90's we all were more focussed on our kids and their extra-curricular activities. When neither of us had used the boat one year, and only once the previous year, it was time to sell. With all the kids now young adults it was time to get back into boating. Unfortunately cancer stole my wife a number of years ago so it isn't as good as we had planned.

After a few years of refining needs/wants and searching I bought the Mk 1. It turned out to be more of a project than I had expected, in part because at one point I was going to steam from Seattle back to Australia and needed the boat in top condition to do that. The shipping quote was $100,000 and I figured that was money better spent on upgrades. Of course once you get started you find more things to do on the basis that 'it will need to be done within a few years anyway...' and 'while there is good access....'. The refit really blew out, but I could stretch for it and knew that I would have 20 years of just routine R&M afterwards. I guess you could call it 'front-loading the R&M'.

So now its just cruising and short trips with the kids when they have the time, confident that I won't have any major projects to schedule in. It was +90 days for the Great Barrier Reef area this year, next year I think I might double that. Overall I'm pretty happy. I never did learn to play the piano, so not sure what I have missed out on. I'm not sure whether its 'tell me more' or 'say no more, say no more'.

Last edited:
Boating is rely the same as motorcycling you ride what you can afford. the important part is doing it. I've never let my ego or how others do it enter into it. you can be on the water for a few grand. a young guy I had working for me a few years back was able to get a nice boat and go salmon fishing after work and spend the night out. total spent was six grand. taking his land locked dad out when he was visiting, priceless.

I passed my exams a few days ago and am now working as a second merchant officer.

Regards,

Thom

Attachments

• post-2759-0-93831400-1367958927.jpg
    post-2759-0-93831400-1367958927.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 145
Interesting question and diversity of answers all from folks that share a similar passion.
I'm a happily retired engineer...30+yrs for Corning Glass. Worked my way from process equipment facility engineer to leading projects. I was good at it and still teach others how to do it as a very part time consulting job.
We learned early (fortunately) that its not how much $ you make...it's all about how much ypu spend. If spend less than you make you can save to follow your dreams and passions.
I grew up around runabouts & outboards and camped on islands. We tried the cruiser lifestyle as a way to get away and found wife & I enjoyed it.
Always bought used boats and did most of my own work.
You don't hav to be rich to boat...if you have the passion you can find a way to enjoy it...it all about being near / on the water NOT about owning a yacht.
Lots good info and people here on TF willing to help others that share the passion.

Last edited:
Entrepreneur.. I guess. I have a couple of small businesses and do a little consulting on the side, plus a couple of cratered small businesses in my past :) Background is primarily in IT. In between boats.. hoping to have one under contract here... today maybe <crossing fingers>

Congrats Angus. You`ll love it.
Lawyer, but telling people I played piano in a gay brothel goes better.

:rofl: I first heard a version of that in the newsroom I worked in fresh out of college. When one of the old hands on the copy desk would get frustrated with the way a reporter wrote something, he'd jump up and shout "Tell my mother I'm a bootlegger; tell her I push drugs to kids; tell her I play piano in a whorehouse, but please God, don't tell her I work for a newspaper."

After five years at a morning paper, I didn't like being away from my family at night, so I took a job in communications with the Tennessee Valley Authority. Retired as a senior manager 4.5 years ago and started a job the next week as chief communications officer for another very large grid operator. Hoping retirement sticks this time . . . although a little consulting may be in the cards; whatever I can do from the deck of my boat.

Ask me again on January 1!

I owned a retail sporting goods store (scuba diving ), have run a charter boat since '84, saved some money, and had someone who was really good at investing it. I was also fortunate to be in the right place several times in my profession. Have owned 5 other boats before my trawler, all to make money with.

Work long and hard; save as much as you can; invest it well!

Ted

Back
Top Bottom