How far offshore is reasonable in GB 42 classic? Or, bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Vessel Name
Tango
Vessel Make
Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
GB owners here, how far offshore into the Pacific would you feel comfortable taking your GB 42 classic in 5-7 foot swells and 15kt winds? Those are pretty typical sea states for us in N CA.

Like, 10 miles? or 2 miles? Or does it matter with swells under 7', and 9' combined seas (dominant periods of 10+ seconds), how far out...? 20 or 30 okay for an intraday (out and back same day if calm enough)? (Yes, it would take 4 hours each way.. that is not a huge deal)

If I would be relegated to sort of hugging the coastline within a few miles or so, I would need to know before I buy one. Thanks!

Greg my Bayliner 4788 has a similar hull shape shape as the grand Banks, just a few feet longer.

Most semi displacement hull forms will handle similarly, IE there is nothing particular to the GB line Vs any other brand of semi displacement hulled boat. Thats just the nature of the hull form.

That said, I am comfortable operating in any waters as long as I watch the weather forecast. Distance from shore only means distance to a safe harbor, and many times that is not even relevant since safe harbors are often some distance apart.

Close to shore or far away from it, rough weather is rough weather.

My boats previous home was Newport Oregon where it was used to chase Albacore Tuna. That mission, by its very nature requires going offshore up to about 60 miles I beleive.

I think you'll be fine in a GB42 if you watch the weather forecast, and the real time data provided by the NOAA buoys.

Last edited:
Didn't a guy take a 42 GB to Hawaii a spell back?

The guy who ran with just one prop and switched 1/2 way as legend has it?

You can go as far offshore as fuel and weather allows.

The same rule for dang near any boat.

90% or more of the time, as long as the boat is in reasonable condition, it will take more than you.

The Problem in the Pacific Northwest is the ocean may be fine but the inlet bars may not....that is definitely a thing to keep in mind.

Last edited:
The question of how far offshore is safe in a GB 42 is not really a question of how high the seas are. A GB 42 can handle 5', 7' even 10' seas (although the captain and crew may not like it much at the higher end). The question is what happens if they don't act as forecast and get lots higher.

Short term forecasts in US coastal waters are pretty good today. I would be ok going out in seas forecast to be 5-7'. Personally I wouldn't go in seas forecast to be 5-7' but building to 8-10' later in the afternoon, even if I planned to be back before then.

I also must ask, what type of boat would you buy if you are not comfortable with the answers you get to your question.

David

Short term forecasts in US coastal waters are pretty good today. I would be ok going out in seas forecast to be 5-7'. Personally I wouldn't go in seas forecast to be 5-7' but building to 8-10' later in the afternoon, even if I planned to be back before then.

David

That is great advice!

Occasionally we will run before a building sea, but only if we have a front moving in, say late afternoon, or early evening. In that case we leave early AM and use our semi displacement hull to its advantage..IE Speed, making sure we are tucked in somewhere by noonish.

Otherwise we do not go out in conditions that are building...Simply because we do not know if the forecast is accurate. The seas might actually build much higher than forecast, especially in localized areas, like inlets.

On the other hand I have no problem leaving in a SCA or even a Gale warning as long as I am in subsiding conditions. For example once the wind lets down the seas quickly seem to space out and loose their edge.

It's not just about looking at the forecast. In the open ocean you need to look at the real time, and historical data provided by the buoys, and compare that to the forecast. Then you can get a really good mental picture of what you are going out into.

Last edited:
The question is what happens if they don't act as forecast and get lots higher

yes and also applies to crossing the bars, as psneeld said. We have a shipping lane here but at 9kt speeds, I would have to watch out carefully for commercial traffic. I like to stay out of shipping lanes.

I also must ask, what type of boat would you buy if you are not comfortable with the answers you get to your question.

I would also consider Yachtfishers and similar SD hull CPMY type boats. Need to be able to fish off the stern, so flushdeck (or ACMY with no cockpit) doesn't work. Sleeps me plus occasional visiting family, so 2 stateroom/2 head. I can spend up to around $180K, cash, subject to surveys. I have my eye on a few. The stabilized 88 Camargue (like Tom and Kay's Alaskan Sea-Duction) that I liked is sold pending. I would like a one-and-done boat, not a "trade up in a few years" boat. Will be tied up dockside 85% of the time for the first few years though. Oh - and this is a full-time liveaboard. Minor detail there, oops.

Last edited:
Craig,
Like many have stated, heed the weather and if in doubt, don't go. It's no fun when your in 20 footers no matter how capable the boat, just ask my Admiral!
Bar crossings are a whole different story, but very doable if you pay attention to the weather and Slack times. Once you do it a few times you'll gain confidence and understand you and your crews limits.

We should consider the difference between swells and seas. Ocean swells are nearly always present to one degree or another, rarely is the ocean flat calm, though I have seen it thus. Seas are usually wind driven and make for a nastier ride than ocean swells which usually are quite far apart and not necessarily wind driven. Start talking about 7-10 ft seas driven by wind, that is going to be very unpleasant in any small boat which a 42 GB is. No wind and 8 ft ocean swells is no big deal.

Sorry, Mediterranean sea not Pacific ocean.

My longuest journey was from the Balearic Islands to Antibes, a few years ago aboard my former boat, GB 42' classic. Far offshore (for me) on the most part.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 245
Sorry, Mediterranean sea not Pacific ocean.

My longuest journey was from the Balearic Islands to Antibes, a few years ago aboard my former boat, GB 42' classic. Far offshore (for me) on the most part.

Thanks Olivier, and all. I will not rule out GB 42 categorically. It is just a little bit tight in the salon for a full time liveaboard, IMHO. But since we hardly ever get rain anymore, it's great for outside space, so that is something I will keep in mind.

Thanks Olivier, and all. I will not rule out GB 42 categorically. It is just a little bit tight in the salon for a full time liveaboard, IMHO. But since we hardly ever get rain anymore, it's great for outside space, so that is something I will keep in mind.

You are welcome CraigC. Good luck for your search, wish you to find the right boat which will meet your expectations and provide you to enjoy your life aboard.

Sincerely,

That is great advice!

Occasionally we will run before a building sea, but only if we have a front moving in, say late afternoon, or early evening. In that case we leave early AM and use our semi displacement hull to its advantage..IE Speed, making sure we are tucked in somewhere by noonish.

Otherwise we do not go out in conditions that are building...Simply because we do not know if the forecast is accurate. The seas might actually build much higher than forecast, especially in localized areas, like inlets.

On the other hand I have no problem leaving in a SCA or even a Gale warning as long as I am in subsiding conditions. For example once the wind lets down the seas quickly seem to space out and loose their edge.

It's not just about looking at the forecast. In the open ocean you need to look at the real time, and historical data provided by the buoys, and compare that to the forecast. Then you can get a really good mental picture of what you are going out into.

One also needs to bare in mind that predicted 5'-7' foot seas means that 70% of the seas will be 5'-7'. The other 30% will be higher to much higher then that.

Craig, if you're looking for vast amounts of outside space, comfortable room inside and a good fishing platform, take a look at Defever 49 CPMYs. Strongly built and, depending on the condition and year, easier on the checkbook when you close.

Craig, if you're looking for vast amounts of outside space, comfortable room inside and a good fishing platform, take a look at Defever 49 CPMYs. Strongly built and, depending on the condition and year, easier on the checkbook when you close.

Angus, yeah, it's just hard to find Defevers around here (other than 48's that are a little worn out or were partially sunk before), but that would fit the bill in most respects. A 10-14kt range (cruise to max) would just barely work for me. I would not kick a 44+5 in the bow, for sure, just that we do not see many of those down here. An RPH would be good too. I seem to see those in the Gulf states (not doable), and in the PNW but it's hard to be sure that if I bought a boat in Seattle, that I would actually see that boat down here before next Spring. There seems to be a good PNW-CA delivery window opening next Monday AM, but I am 1 week from being able to offer on anything, due to my house closing escrow on 10/31, when I will have the money to put down.

Thanks Bill, for the reminder that averages (dominants) are.. averages... not maximums... I need to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom