Leaky windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceania

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
I have a 1986 Fu HWA Oceania with the sliding side windows. The PO removed the old ones and replaced all the rot under the windows. Nice job except that he put back the same kind of window. Now, when it rains hard, the drain holes cannot drain all the water out of the window track fast enough to keep up, so the excess water overflows into the wall. It comes out in the settee lockers in the salon. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Better check his work; is it possible that he did not get the replacement weatherstrip installed correctly?

Better check his work; is it possible that he did not get the replacement weatherstrip installed correctly?

+1
He's done something wrong with the reinstall. Sounds like you may have to remove them again.

Make the drain hole bigger and or drill more drain holes. I did both on the Eagle. Actually I cut the holes in to cut out notches. Also might want to grind cut the outside down so they are lower.

Make the drain hole bigger and or drill more drain holes. I did both on the Eagle. Actually I cut the holes in to cut out notches. Also might want to grind cut the outside down so they are lower.

Yep.

More drain holes, or bigger drain holes may not always work. In a wind driven rain, the wind, if from the right direction, can keep the water piled up and not allow it to drain out of the holes. I think he re-examination of the window install might be in order.

Gordon

Make holes bigger or more of them have done the same those sliding windows that I have seen all leak

After you drill your holes, slide a q tip through with 5200, if nothing else.

My drain holes are 3/4 copper tubing. One per set of windows
The ends are bent over a little.
They seems to drain fine.

A few had the wood rot around them, so I pulled them out and epoxied them back in with wood flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom