Lehman minor cruise kit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Any suggestions?** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 29th of January 2011 09:54:17 AM

RE: lehman120 injectors

One of the best things I have done is to take a marine diesel class at our local community college. Our college has a Marine Tech program and they allow seniors (those over 60) to audit courses for a minimal charge if the class has space.

The class showed us how to check the glow plugs, set the valves, fault isolate the fuel system and test injectors. I pulled the injectors on my Volvo TMD-40A and found four didn't have good spray patterns. Our instructor said injectors should be good for around 4000 to 5000 hours. Mine were at about 4200 hours. You can test the injectors but rebuilding them takes a skilled and qualified technician...I removed and took the six injectors to Northland Diesel Service in Bellingham, WA. They rebuilt them for something like $60 each. BIG difference in how the engine runs, much smoother.

At 1700 hours your's should be OK. If I was you and had a new set of injectors in hand I would (a) have the new ones tested, (b) remove the old ones and install the new ones, (c) have the old ones tested and (d) rebuild the old ones and keep them as spares.

Wrap the injectors in Saran Wrap or vacuum bag them and store them on the boat.

Steppen-* Good points, but now I realize my find is only engine gaskets and injector lines-** no injectors.**** Thanks for your input.** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 29th of January 2011 09:56:46 AM

John,
I would think a "minor" kit would include the parts to help you get safely back to civilization. Things that come to my mind are a transmission oil cooler, an alternator belt, spare cooler hydraulic lines, a radiator cap, starter solenoid and a spare set of coolant hoses.
My thinking is sometimes a little more basic than others- but I know from experience that starters seldom fail without warning, a stuck thermostat can be removed and injector lines seldom fail (i have never seen one fail). Valve cover gasket leaks can be dealt with till you get back to the slip.
Having said all of that, a long range cruising kit will be totally different. Getting parts in the Bahama's I am sure will be time consuming and expensive.
I am putting a "kit" together slowly for long range. It includes a spare heat exchanger, water pump and will include thermostats, oil sending units, a spare starter and some spare injectors. I have twins so I don't think I will invest in spare injector lines. Just my thoughts.

If your alternator belt fails on a Lehman you will have to remove a coolant line in order to install the new belt.* It is therefore a good idea to store at least one spare belt with the water line threaded through the belt - IOW the belt will be stored on the engine.* This is a fairly common practice in industrial applications where you may see multiple belts stored in this manner.

I'm by no means an expert but my spares kit includes various hoses, every possible belt and several of them, a complete set of heat exchangers (raw water and coolant), 2 water pumps, an alternator, a starter, a set of injectors, several impellers plus the usual filters, oil, coolant etc.

Back
Top Bottom