Need Bigger Windlass for 1/2" BBB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepke

Guru
Vessel Name
Charlie Harper
Vessel Make
Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I have a 200# anchor and 600' of 1/2" BBB chain. I want to double the chain, but I am twice the current rating of the existing windlass now. One day the anchor won't come up.
I.m looking for a new/used above deck mount, horizontal windlass for 1/2" -3/4" chain and 3000# or more lift. Gypsy and capstan. 240V.

I have a 200# anchor and 600' of 1/2" BBB chain. I want to double the chain, but I am twice the current rating of the existing windlass now. One day the anchor won't come up.
I.m looking for a new/used above deck mount, horizontal windlass for 1/2" -3/4" chain and 3000# or more lift. Gypsy and capstan. 240V.

Sorry, I don't have a windlass for sale, but I really wonder why you need 1200ft of chain?

idealwindlass.com

They build windlasses for up to 1.5" chain and load ratings up to 15,000 pounds. I have a horizontal double wildcat and capstan Ideal windlass on my trawler and an Ideal vertical capstan on my charter boat. Very happy with both.

Ted

I suggest you advertise in Boats & Harbors .

And idf the Canadians are still purchasing fish boats to scrap, find out where the breakers yard is.

I really wonder why you need 1200ft of chain?

I go to remote places with deep water and high currents.

Here in the USA ? Where? I'm trying to think of an anchorage in the western hemisphere 200 feet deep. Have you considered just adding 1 inch 3 strand ?

I travel between in Canada and Alaska in waters that get deep fast. I rarely have anchored in waters less than 25 fathoms, often within yards of the beach. Almost never where there are other boats. At 4:1 with all chain, I use 100 fathoms (600') with no chain to spare for currents or bad weather.
An anchor is also a piece of safety equipment. Casualties happen in inconvenient times and places. Should something happen, I want to keep my boat off an unfriendly beach.

I boat in Alaska and have 550' of all chain rode.

In my opinion, with a decade and a half of deep water anchoring under my belt, you do not need 1200' of all chain rode.

That and your windlass only needs to lift weight from the depth you are anchoring in, not the entire length of rode.

Without sounding too snarky on a friday night, the water gets shallower the closer to shore you are. :blush: so it's not the need to keep yourself off an "unfriendly beach".

You could get another windlass. But should it ever break down, you will never lift 1200 feet of chain.
Why not consider adding 600 or even 800 feet of three strand line?

Also, if the ind would pick up to such an extent you were worried about a lee shore, why not just start your engine and move??

IMHO you are trying to solve a problem you do not have.

Many folks do not anchor in water much deeper than 200 ft,

200 ft of chain and the rest in nylon works fine , is probablt stronger and will give a smoother ride due to the nylon stretch.

Yes the nylon will have to be handled , while coming up .

The commercial cable drum winches can hold lots of wire and still accomidate a chain tail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom