Newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SBGuy

Vessel Name
Owen Churchill
Vessel Make
Overseas PT 35 Sedan
After many years as the owner of various sailboats, including living aboard my Catalina 36 for the last 19 years, I made the move three months ago to a 1986 Overseas PT 35 Sedan. I'm ecstatic! Lots more room and I can see out of it! I'm fortunate to have a slip in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. Living here on my boat is like being on vacation 365 days a year. I look forward to sharing and learning with other forum members.

SBGuy...

Welcome aboard TF - you will find many others that have come over from the dark side :whistling:

SBGuy...

Welcome aboard TF - you will find many others that have come over from the dark side :whistling:

Thanks. I've been lurking here for more than a year. Trying to get opinions on boats, power, etc.

I've been considering this change for three or four years. I'm glad I did it. I got a smokin' deal on my boat. It's the cheapest living in one of the country's most expensive cities.

One of my sailing friends called me "Trawler Trash". His wife told me later he REALLY likes my boat. He he he.

Thanks...

One of my sailing friends called me "Trawler Trash". His wife told me later he REALLY likes my boat. He he he.

You may help him "see the light"

Good luck w/ your boat - lots of good folks here willing to "lend a hand"

After many years as the owner of various sailboats, including living aboard my Catalina 36 for the last 19 years, I made the move three months ago to a 1986 Overseas PT 35 Sedan. I'm ecstatic! Lots more room and I can see out of it! I'm fortunate to have a slip in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. Living here on my boat is like being on vacation 365 days a year. I look forward to sharing and learning with other forum members.

Congrats and..
I'm envious! :)

What a great place to have a live aboard a boat! And as a sailor I understand what you mean by your comments about the room and view. Santa Barbara is a beautiful place.

I'd like to tell you about my new boat's name. Owen Churchill was born to a very wealthy Los Angeles family in 1898. Because he was interested in flying, his mother bought him a sailboat. He became an avid sailor and crewed on the 1928 U.S. Olympic sailing team. He was the skipper of the boat in the 1932 Olympics and won the first U.S. Olympic gold medal for sailing. After losing badly in 1936, he went to Tahiti to sulk. While he was there, he noticed native men tying leaves to their feet to aid them when they dove. An idea light went off in his head, and he invented the modern swim fin. Scuba divers among you will recognize Churchill Fins. They're still made today. Owen was associated with Olympic sailing his entire life. A group of people got together and restored his 8 meter Star Fleet boat ... the one he actually won the gold medal in ... in 1984 and it became the official committee boat for the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Peter Ueberroth honored Owen Churchill for his lifelong support of Olympic sailing. His boat, the Angelita, is still sailing in classic races on the East Coast. Do a Google images search for "Racing Sailboat Angelita" to see her. Owen Churchill passed away in 1985. He was a close friend of the family that ran the California Yacht Club in Marina del Rey, California. When they bought this Overseas PT 35 Sedan in 1986 to use as their race committee boat, they named it in his honor. I'm the second owner of the boat and will keep the name "Owen Churchill" for my new boat.

Welcome aboard! Nice boat. A fellow TFer, Pineapple Girl, has a beautiful PT35. I really like the island bed on an angle. It works well in the aft cabin.

Love that area. The Beachside Cafe is hard to beat. Excellent Paella Del Mar while whalewatching from the table!!!

The view:

img_453558_0_1e50427fd9a8c4312a1b599de99a3be8.jpg

The food:
img_453558_1_e5c7cf5ab2dd6b2b63fda6356d79a123.jpg

Beachside Cafe, Santa Barbara
img_453558_2_88c79a327bbae8ce2d2c929f180fdafb.jpg

Welcome aboard! Nice boat. A fellow TFer, Pineapple Girl, has a beautiful PT35. I really like the island bed on an angle. It works well in the aft cabin.

Love that area. The Beachside Cafe is hard to beat. Excellent Paella Del Mar while whalewatching from the table!!!

The view:

img_453560_0_1e50427fd9a8c4312a1b599de99a3be8.jpg

The food:
img_453560_1_e5c7cf5ab2dd6b2b63fda6356d79a123.jpg

Beachside Cafe, Santa Barbara
img_453560_2_88c79a327bbae8ce2d2c929f180fdafb.jpg

I eat there often! Like I said, I live a "vacation" 365 days a year.

Welcome!

As a former Catalina 36 owner, I am awed that you could live aboard for 19 years! The 36 is one of the best sailboats ever designed in my opinion. Eventually It was too small for us so we moved up to a Catalina 400 and to a power boat a couple months ago.

So far I love it and I am sure you will as well. Being able to out of the boat is a huge plus that I never thought about until after we bought our boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom