How do you keep your dinette table off the ground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgdavis

Veteran Member
When we got our boat several months ago we quickly realized that the biggest eyesore inside it was the dinette table in the salon. The Admiral's father happens to be a retiree with a woodworking habit, so she talked him into building her a birthday present.:) I've attached a couple of pictures.

The table turned out so good that we don't want to screw it back onto the rickety 34 year old pedestal. I am searching for a replacement that will look good, not wobble, and still allow use to make up the settee as a bed. Due to the engine room access located in close proximity I can only protrude about 3 inches from the centerline of the post at the base, which is an issue since most bases I'm seeing have a 9" diameter.

Has anyone upgraded their pedestal? I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of wobbles.

Attachments

• 20160614_165408.jpg
    20160614_165408.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20160614_165425.jpg
    20160614_165425.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 127
Our pedestal contains storage and the sides of the table fold down. That doesn't help you, does it.

Last edited:
Not a bit, but thanks for looking. :D

My current pedestal is a metal job about 2" in diameter. There are two sections that telescope together with a friction lock in the middle. I think the at it's lowest is is 15.75" and the normal position is about 28". A 6" diameter base is lagged to the floor and a plate about 8"x12" secures the tabletop.

Would it be possible for you to rebuild your current pedestal? Maybe have it plated or...

The best pedestal source for a table is a HELM seat base.

These are good and strong and will usually have a slide that will allow the unit to be installed off center , and still let the table slide to the position required when up or down.

A careful look at the under table slide will show some can be installed end on end.

That gives almost a foot of lateral motion to arrange the dinette.

Strong is no problem ,but sleeping on a table has problems.

Butt cushions are harder than sleeping cushions so an air mattress is frequently required for adults to use the bunk.

Don't have a dinette. Table in salon, in pilot house, and on the FB.

Thanks Captain Grammer. I'll pull my tongue out of my cheek and toe the line from now on.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. MG. We had a pedestal table (on a Marine Trader) with, what I think is, the telescoping segment you're describing. It too was very wobbly and difficult to adjust due to the inner tube, thinnish stainless steel, being deformed by the poorly designed clamp. I had the deformed section replaced by a welder with the same diameter thicker wall tubing and cured all the problems. We kept the same floor base.

Your FIL does nice work...

Why does it have to be a pedestal? Ours is a free standing table with a broad sliding base. We simply slide it out of the way when ER access is needed.

Attachments

• Via Lido Salon 4.jpg
    Via Lido Salon 4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 86
Why does it have to be a pedestal? Ours is a free standing table with a broad sliding base. We simply slide it out of the way when ER access is needed.

I've seen several of the wide base units on other boats like mine and outside of maybe extreme sea conditions, they look like the best option to me. My setup is very strong and rigid but has two telescoping pedestals ....one of which is attached to one of the three engine hatches.....hate it.

We sort of did that. Put a pedestal that had an adjustment range to our requirements onto a broad base. Slide it around as needed. If rough water is anticipated, we can lash it to pad eyes on the face of the settee.

Lots of pneumatic cylinder lifts available out there. This company

http://hi-lotables.com/table-lifts.html

has a table like the one you built in their catalogue. Looks like you could order a decent platform base from them. Ther are others from the likes of bessenzoni as well but I'm pretty sure for more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I had a wobbly telescopic pedestal table which dropped down to form a berth. I wanted to keep the flexibility of converting to a berth, but needed better stability.

I built & installed a small, solidly fixed cabinet under the table. A short removable pedestal is fitted on the top of the cabinet to support the table. This is easily removed and the table is supported directly on the cabinet when used as a berth.

No more wobbles, and bonus storage area.

The IG36 has a single pedestal shaft with a diameter an elephant would trumpet about. No wobble, no play. I`m guessing GBs will have something similar.

We really like our table, it seats and is comfortable for eight people. It has two stainless steel adjustable pedestals that are mounted on a base plate with felt pads so we can easily move it, I keep a landyard attached to a pad eye to secure it when we are underway.
Larry typical "when you've seen one", the pedestal bases have never been screwed into the deck or engine hatch boards.

Last edited:
The tabletop is solid maple and we are concerned that it is too top heavy to not be bolted down. Right now we are considering using two pedestals with socket bases, as are found in RVs. I am trying to find an option for a custom leg length so we can get out 15.75" minimum height to make it into a bed.

I had a wobbly telescopic pedestal table which dropped down to form a berth. I wanted to keep the flexibility of converting to a berth, but needed better stability.

I built & installed a small, solidly fixed cabinet under the table. A short removable pedestal is fitted on the top of the cabinet to support the table. This is easily removed and the table is supported directly on the cabinet when used as a berth.

No more wobbles, and bonus storage area.

Sounds like you had a set up very similar to ours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom