Mainship 34 battery setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbernbuck

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Finale
Vessel Make
Rosborough RF246 Custom Pilothouse 2000
Hello group,

Curious about how others have their batteries setup on their MS 34 trawlers.
Mainly the number and sizes. I recently bought a 1982 MS34 MK1.
Mine has a genset, bowthruster, and an inverter (not connected at present).
The battery box located under lower steering station seems to be sized for one 4D or 8D battery.
Currently I have 4 batteries spread about the boat: 1 forward for bowthruster, 1 for genset, and 2 batteries in the battery box under lower steering station (1 start, 1 house). All are group 24 except 1 group 27 house.
Want to hear what others have done before I make any changes.
Thanks everyone,

I had the same setup, but without the bow thruster. I'm not an expert on batteries, but I do know the house and starter batteries were big ones and the genset battery, which was located under the cockpit hatch, was a car starter battery.

MS 34 Batt'y / Charging Arrangement

Hello group,

Curious about how others have their batteries setup on their MS 34 trawlers...

Want to hear what others have done before I make any changes.
Thanks everyone,

newb...

Here's a link to a previous post that shows what I have on my '08 MS 34HT.
MS 34 HT Charging System Mods

I have 3 8D's - 2 start / house and 1 thrusters (B & S)
The links include schematics etc. I also have a Gen w/ a separate Gp 24/27 batt'y.
The write up includes some rationale for separating it from the other charging circuits as I didn't like the diode isolators MS installed.

Seems to me our '87 Mk III had one 8D on the starboard side (i.e., under the lower helm) and that doubled as start and house. And then we had a genset start battery, probably Group 24-ish or 27-ish back under the cockpit with the generator.

We had no bow thruster, no electric windlass, and inverters hadn't been invented yet. :)

Were I doing it today, I suspect I wouldn't bother to isolate house from engine start. Instead I think I'd just cram about six 6V golf cart batteries where the 8D lived (assuming I could make all those fit) and call it good. There should be plenty of cranking amps to start the relatively small diesel... and there's always the genset and charger as a back-up.

And never having to lift an 8D again... priceless.

-Chris

On the mk1 I recently bought there is one battery dedicated to the genset and two banks of two batteries each for house and/or starting immediately aft of the helm under an access hatch. They are all gel well mounted without battery boxes.

ForumRunner_20160414_182922.jpg

ForumRunner_20160414_182910.jpg

My 83 Mainship III has two starting batteries under the hatch at the helm, 2 house batteries in the same place on the port side, a generator start battery and a battery for the thruster/windlass. The single battery for the windlass/thruster is charged by a trickle charger when we're on shore power or when the genset is running. I have 3 solar panels that charge the house bank and I also have an inverter on the house bank.

I have 1 8D Starter/Windlass battery (Battery #1) under lower helm. 1 8D (Battery #2) house aft port side, beside the genset. 1 Grp 27 Genset starter.

I have a battery selector for house service that I keep on 1 + 2, i.e. I'm paralleling house and engine starter to supply house service.

I also have a small inverter that is just enough to power the TV/DVD/phone chargers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom