Thanks For a Great Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycenphil

Stumbled over this forum in a serch for info on the Ford Lehman. We are considering a Great Loop trip, and also considering an old wooden trawler (1969 Grand Banks 32) with the Ford.

The forum looks great; I may stay up late reading tonight.

Read away - buy ask questions too.

That is what generates the fun for us all! :)

Thanks Menzies. I just don't want to ask a questoion that's been answered a thousand times.

That said, I'm wondering how foolish it would be to buy a wooden boat with a 5,000 hour engine. The upside is, it's $10,000.

1969 32' Grand Banks Trawler

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here.

Ted

Gracenphil, Even a free boat in the wrong condition can be too expensive.

The only way to minimize your financial risk is to get a very thorough survey by a surveyor with specialized knowledge and experience in wooden boats. No doubt you'll want a very good engine survey, too.

When boats are listed without engine room pics, I get very skeptical. Caveat emptor!

BTW, welcome to TF!!

Thanks Menzies. I just don't want to ask a questoion that's been answered a thousand times.

Welcome aboard...

You have already started w/ an appreciated approach...
Take advantage of the search function but then don't be afraid to ask
You'll find a pretty friendly and welcoming bunch here on TF.

When boats are listed without engine room pics, I get very skeptical. Caveat emptor!

Because of engine problems, or structural problems in the engine room, or something else?

The boat isn't far from me, so I will probably go have a look.

Because of engine problems, or structural problems in the engine room, or something else?

Because it is usually a good indication of how the boat is cared for. If you saw a beautiful '69 Camaro RS/SS only to open the hood and find wires and oil an crap all over the place, it should have an impact on your overall assessment of the car....as it should on a boat. Anyway...........

And you're welcome and welcome aboard!!!!....:rofl:

The condition of the ER often gives an indication of the level of maintenance/care the boat has received. A clean ER is not a guarantee of a clean vessel, but it's an indicator. Belts? Hoses? Oil mess? Leaking fuel? Tanks? (water, holding and fuel) Stringer rot? Electrical wire chaos? Water heater? Inverter?

It's the heart chamber of the boat's systems. It deserves a lot of attention.

I'd also caution you - don't fall in love with a boat until it's yours. If you're emotionally attached, it can be tougher to make the important decision to walk away. Let us know how she looked. Take pics and notes.

The condition of the ER often gives an indication of the level of maintenance/care the boat has received. A clean ER is not a guarantee of a clean vessel, but it's an indicator. Belts? Hoses? Oil mess? Leaking fuel? Tanks? (water, holding and fuel) Stringer rot? Electrical wire chaos? Water heater? Inverter?

It's the heart chamber of the boat's systems. It deserves a lot of attention.

AGREE :thumb::thumb:

Another worthwhile step is to request a look at their maintenance records / log and or ships log (if that's where maintenance notes are kept)...
ideally you'd hope to find an anal retentive type that keeps detailed records whether they DIY or have a yard do their work - records help confirm what has been done vs what is "claimed"

Back
Top Bottom