Captive Reel Winch with Anchor in Hawspipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Sailor I know has this setup on his 100ft personal vessel. He kept with a captive reel winch but the anchor nests in the hawsepipe. I suppose as long as there are no sharp edges to abrade the rope then this should work fine. Seems like a nice combination, for those of us who like captive winches.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 89
A friend of mine has a similar setup on a 78', but uses stainless cable in place of rope. So a shot of chain plus a few hundred feet of cable. Interesting combination that I had never seen before.

Nice. With a bell to ring out each shot of rode. (One stroke for each 90' out).

I see his rode is mostly nylon .. smart.

Reel winches frequently don't hold as much line or chain as one would like so they turn to cable.

Must be good deck paint.

One hassle is the winch becomes weaker (larger drum diameter) as the anchor rode is recovered, but it does come in faster .

Strange that they would splice studded chain to a nylon rode. I guess they want all the chafe chain weight they can get...

I've been pricing units and unfortunately they are about double what a "mainstream" vertical windlass runs. Of course that's American made - high quality and high price.

My brothers boat has one because his boat was designed with out an anchor locker. The focs'l has 7 1/2' foot long bunks.

Spell check via iPhone.

Strange that they would splice studded chain to a nylon rode. I guess they want all the chafe chain weight they can get...

Hard to imagine the studded chain as a chafe benefit. Wouldn't a longer chain (not studded) be better for chafe resistance? For anchor performance the studded would get my vote. I use extra heavy chain at the anchor and then heavy chain but both short. For the best catenary.
Re the nylon I think it takes up less space on the drum so a longer rode can be used. And when it blows you pay out more rode and the nylon is the great shock absorber.

And no splice is needed w the drum. Just hook up w as many shackles as you want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom