Chicago's winter live on board community.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicagoq

Veteran Member
Absolutely solute these brave people!

Can you guys tell what kind of boats are these?

ForumRunner_20160129_115845.jpg

I don't recognize any off-hand, but I can point out one thing you might find useful: many of those are covered that way because they don't have a load bearing hardtop over the flying bridge.

The one almost on the far left -- just the the left of the blue bimini -- does have a hardtop, and seems to have required less artificial structure for the shrink wrapping. The blue-hulled boat furthest left, looks like on the other side of a dock, also looks like it has a hardtop.

Our load bearing hardtop (see avatar) allows us to simply leave the normal bridge enclosure up during winter; no additional shrink wrapping required to be able to use that space. Greenhouse effect, sometimes comfortable.

The hardtop is not a complete panacea, but very useful in this regard.

-Chris

Yeah, I guess I can live with the bimini. But if I have to live in a boat that's shrink wrapped, feel like suffocated. Wonder if the air inside the wrapper are fresh enough?

Guys out here who shrink-wrap for the winter say they put doors and vents in... but many also say interior condensation/humidity can be an issue. Don't have experience with that. And for the most part, they're not trying to live in there, just work comfortably, occasionally.

At least those in your pic are clear/see through...

For me, potential snow load would be a bigger issue. All that interior framing to support the shrink-wrap isn't just to provide additional light and airy spaces. :)

One owner reported snow load bending his bow rail and unseating a couple of his stanchions during the previous winter. Somehow the load accumulated on his winter cover and his framing didn't adequately support the load, some of that pressure was transferred to the bow rail, went downhill from there...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom