La Perouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
I've seen you mention in several threads now that you have had some work done on your PNW cabin cruiser. Care to share the experience?

I'll be happy to share the bill, which was somewhat north of $9,000.:)

The project took about four months although much of that time was waiting for parts or my schedule to free up to test things. I took yesterday off and we and the yard conducted the final sea trial and the boat is now happily back in it's slip. It's filthy from all the time in the yard but the problem's finally been solved and fixed. It stemmed from a weakness in the boat's mechanical design and snowballed from there.

It stemmed from a weakness in the boat's mechanical design and snowballed from there.

That could cover a multitude of sins. We need a few more hints.

Don't tell em Marin. BTW, the new canoe stern does add to the looks!

It turned out to be a very complex problem with multiple steps to troubleshoot and eventually find the solution. It was a design issue as much as a component issue and would take far too much time to describe here in an easy to follow manner. It happened, we and the yard dealt with it, and it is (hopefully) behind us once and for all now.

PS--- Sunchaser, it is quite an improvement isn't it? Too bad American Marine didn't think of it in the first place when they designed the Grand Banks.:)

Last edited:
What, Marin lost for words? Unable to write up a description? A strange start to the new year indeed.

I suspect it has taken a lot longer to not explain it than to explain it.
Never mind, other GB36 owners may discover the defect the life threatening way for themselves. Being outside the group at risk I`m not, but to those who are, commiserations, and please take care.

Fair enough then, glad it's dealt with and your back on the water.

I suspect it has taken a lot longer to not explain it than to explain it.

Be nice if that had been the case. While this specific issue is unique to certain GBs, the overall situation can be applicable to any number of boats with the same configurtation.

What I will say in all seriousness is have Rescue Tape on board, the genuine article, not a knockoff, and know where it is and how to use it. It kept a very bad situation from becoming an extremely bad situation.

Who knows if this mystery, potential life threatening condition affects our boats if you're hesitant to share the condition. I was under the impression one of the greatest values of TF was to share info.

I was going to suggest Zeus drives to get away from shaft logs altogether but 9 grand and a roll of Rescue Tape isn't bad.

... While this specific issue is unique to certain GBs, the overall situation can be applicable to any number of boats with the same configurtation(sic)
I see, the condition which potentially affects many boats must remain a tightly held secret.
I know, it`s a game...play on Narcissus.

I'm not going to write this up because it was a very complicated, drawn out situation and I'm simply not interested or motivated enough to take the considerable time required to explain all the events properly.

It's been dealt with and that's that. I see no value in spawning a bunch of armchair opinions, theories and speculation from people who had no involvement in the situation whatsoever and so know nothing about it.

There is the lightweight, entertaining and irrelevant internet world and there is real life. Some people might like to blabber everything about their lives to the general public but I am not one of them, sorry. This particular experience, like every important aspect of our lives, is nobody's business but our own.

Last edited:
" This particular experience, like every important aspect of our lives, is nobody's business but our own."

Except perhaps for the similar GB boats , or other brands with a similar "flaw" to fix.

The hardest mysteries to solve are always the most interesting.

Perhaps it is a major and continuing problem that Marin does not want on the public record when he sells the boat. Caveat emptor!

Perhaps, legal action is involved and he doesn't want to spill the beans or perhaps jeopardize the case.

Shame he owns a dependable diesel cruiser instead of a trawler like some of us....:rofl:

Remember Marshall McLuhan who said, "The medium is the message"?

Sorry Marin, but if you are as prolific as you are on an internet forum, and particularly because you are so quick to chastise, belittle, and be judgmental of others, you will not be able to just walk away from this one.

Perhaps it was something that should have been attended to earlier, and wasn't.

Greetings,
I thought personal attacks were relegated to OTDE.

How many people has Marin accused of not being as smart as his dog? If he slings it, he should be able to take it :)

Perhaps it was something that should have been attended to earlier, and wasn't.

Words are slippery things and there's too much wiggle room out of that one. Think I'll tighten it up a bit;

Perhaps it was something that showed signs of needing attention, but was ignored or put off till later.

Last edited:
or it all goes back to marketing hype......:D

Maybe the manufacturer and/or the owner.....::rofl:

Deep breath now everybody. Whether Michael Connelly, Nicholas Sparks or Lee Child, all great writers of crime, intrigue and passion know how to suck the reader in. Marin has done it again. It will be interesting to see Hillary's response to this Willyizing.

Interesting point, Sun. Let's see:

The Donald-"It's a foreign boat and should not have been let in, I will deport all Grand Banks boats"

Cruz-"No such problem exists as man cannot have such an effect on a boat"

Christie-"When I was a US Attorney, I put people like that in jail, as Governor I created jobs by helping them move their plant to Hoboken"

JEB-"First I want to say my brother did a good job on those boats, and when I was Governor, I would have created charter boat yards"

Bernie-"What we really need is a single payer boat repair system for the middle class boat owner"

Rubio-"Did it come from Cuba?"

Hillary-"Do you want to donate it?"

Oh, I forgot Carly-"Too bad American Marine is not run as well as I ran HP."

Hillary-"Do you want to donate it?"

THD, you are not even close on what Hillary would have said. Only 30 or so spring to mind, but for sure OTDE stuff. Think Willy. Marin will assuredly come up with a few zingers.

Deep breath now everybody. Whether Michael Connelly, Nicholas Sparks or Lee Child, all great writers of crime, intrigue and passion know how to suck the reader in. Marin has done it again. It will be interesting to see Hillary's response to this Willyizing.

Yup and the man is wetting hizself with laughter right now. Somewhat of a shame but still, his prerogative.

If the logs, receipts and maintenance records are as meticulous as we have been told, then any potential, future buyer will surely have it all laid out for him. And of course there is always the effects of non disclosure. If it is/was really, REALLY bad, every broker from CA to AK will eventually know about it.

On the other hand, it is to become a reef, so no one need worry. I'm just wondering why he didn't hop the dink and let 'er go down back in Sept.:blush:

This has the makin's of being more entertaining than the Recreational Trawler thread.

Perhaps, legal action is involved and he doesn't want to spill the beans or perhaps jeopardize the case.
That's certainly possible but so is the fact that he alluded to a very serious defect in his GB and maybe other boats as well. (In writing!) The fact that he has not followed up with any specifics will not sit well should a class action suite be filed by some other poor soul (TF member?) that has met with a far serious fate because of no knowledge of this particular defect. If I were in his shoes (Marin's) I would elaborate on the actual trouble I experienced, if for no other reason than to inform others about the possible dangers of experiencing the same fate, thus protecting myslf from being exposed to future litigation.

Again, with regard to the above quote, that's a real possibility. :blush:

Last edited:
As predicted, the post that started this thread has already generated two pages of totally bogus speculation and armchair guesses. The legal comments are particularly humorous. This thread is why I never post anything about stuff that's actually important on an amateur-hour internet forum but instead search out truly credible sources.

Threre is nothing new or secretive about the event that triggered the long situation we just went through. It has been discussed several times on the Grand Banks Owners forum which is where we learned of it some 15 or 16 years ago. Which is why when it happened to us we were shocked and initially very scared but not surprised. That forum has a searchable archives just like this one so I would assume the posts on the subject by true pros like Bob Lowe and Mike Negley are still there. While I learned about it from the GB pros the mechanical configuration that failed is, as I understand it, fairly common within the industry, at least on older cabin cruisers.

And Murray is absolutely correct in his post #20:).

BTW Murray, our dog was just as stunned as we were but he came to his senses faster than we did and suggested Rescue Tape when my longstanding plan of action for this occurance didn't work. I get the impression from your posts that your dog is very wise, too, so you are fortunate to have him as a boating companion. Like ours, he could save the day for you sometime.:):):)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom