new to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John P

Hi I am new to the forum even though I have been lurking for a few weeks. I live close to lake Erie in ohio I was looking into a bigger boat but it is not possible at this time. that being said i was wondering about chartering a boat in maine next summer what should i expect to pay for a week and how much expierience do i need? i have been sailing a 25 ft sailboat for several years and I had a 20 ft sailboat before that. I would like to charter something like a grand banks 32 or36. where is the least expensive place in maine to charter that size boat? google comes up with a bunch of big corporation charter places and want around 3000 a week is that realistic? thanks for helping the new guy out. *~John

Hello and Welcome,

Sounds about right.
Don't forget you are looking to rent a $100,000.00 + boat.
Once you do all the add on's that is about what the cost comes to.

That being said you could look into a 6 pack cruise with the owner of the boat.
Not sure how you would go about that short of walking the docks in Main.

Good Luck

SD

You might want to take a look in the Chesepeake area. Blue Goose Charters out of Baltimore will rent a trawler for $1,500-$2,000 a week. Very interesting waters to explore and probably more "user friendly" than Maine.

The Grand Banks charter outfit in our marina has two GB36s in its fleet. Both are mid-'90s boats One is a Sedan the other is a Classic (tri-cabin). The Sedan charters for $3,500 a week in the high-season, $2,500 in the low season. The Classic charters for $4,200 in the high season, $3,100 in the low season.

This company has had GB32s in its charter fleet in the past but I haven't seen any on their dock for some time now so I don't know what a typical charter price for this particular model might be.

TThanks for the replays, I found blue goose and sent them a message before I posted... I found bucks harbor as well but no message yet. What kind of experience will they require to allow me to charter? Thanks, -John

"What kind of experience will they require to allow me to charter? "

Lots of time running blind and navigating in fog . Great radar skills .

Understanding of 5K currents and 20 ft tides.

Good swimming skills to cut lobster pots clear in 55F waters 5 or 10 times a day.

The Chessy is loads easier if you are still building skills.

The Chesapeake it is then lol. I have been a lake Erie sailor I have never dealt with tides before although fog is common. Never had a radar before either...

John P wrote:

The Chesapeake it is then lol. I have been a lake Erie sailor I have never dealt with tides before although fog is common. Never had a radar before either...
John,

As a Lake Erie sailor that is still alive and in one piece will go along way with most Trawler rental companies..* A short test on anchoring and chart work will be it.* A run around the marina or local waters and it's off you go.

FF is just being FF.

Haha, people used to ask me what qualifications you need to charter a boat and I always said "a credit card."* Unfortunately that is about the truth in some areas.* This makes for some excellent mooring ball and anchoring high-jinks though, which is fun to watch until someone falls overboard.

JD wrote:John,
As a Lake Erie sailor that is still alive and in one piece........

A few years ago now I was working on a marina that had a hire fleet of Clipper 34's and the bloke that run the show was definatly the proverbial rough diamond, ex maritime navy, very un PC, nice bloke though.

One day he hired a boat to two young couples for the week on the second day he got a call the boat was broken down up the river. Up he goes in the rescue boat and returns alone about 8 hours later towing the Clipper 34.

I asked him what happened and he told me that one of the young guys was an apprentice mechanic and had decided to disconect the engine governor which restricted the boat to 1800rpm and decided to cruise at the max2600rpm, the poor old motor soon gave up the ghost. I asked where the hirers were and he said they decided to leave the boat about twenty miles upstream at a farmers jetty in the middle of nowwhere. Why would they do that I enquired & he gave me one of those looks" they didn't have much choice" he replied.

John P wrote:Cleveland area
I did my boating out* of Erie, PA for 25 years.

SeaHorse II wrote:

John P wrote:Cleveland area
I did my boating out* of Erie, PA for 25 years.

Lorain for us and that lake can get nasty quick.

-- Edited by JD on Friday 19th of November 2010 04:26:40 AM

Trust me I know... I grew up boating on Erie and we had a 17 ft aluminum boat. 8 ft waves looked like houses! They Are not any smaller now of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom