Varnish run on 2 pack paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
I just refinished my wretched teak cappings, using Deks Olje Part 1(oil), and Part 2, which is a one part polyurethane varnish. There are some runs of the varnish onto the 2 pack paint inside the bulwarks. It oxidizes soon enough on wood, but not on paint.
I think any solvent would affect the paint. Wondered if heat, from a heat gun, might soften the varnish enough to remove it with a plastic scraper, before affecting the paint.
Any thoughts?

Infrared heat would be better than a heat gun. If your careful infrared can be controlled to just heat a layer of paint at a time so it can be scraped off leaving the layer underneath . I made my own infrared heater from a 6 inch quartz 400watt heater tube from ebay

If the paint the run is on is 2 part poly then any of the mild varnish removers will work just fine without effecting the paint. But you could start by trying to remove it with a plastic razor blade and some heat.

Lacquer thinner would be my first attempt, does not affect two part paint like AwlGrip or Imron. Worked on my boat. As with anything, on your boat start by testing in a small inconspicuous place.

Thanks for the advice. Acetone worked, with no harm to the paint.

Back
Top Bottom