Winter dockage specials, better then hauling and winterizing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMYSS

I hope no one thinks I am spamming by posting this(I am a trawler guy too, just trying to make a living!), but wanted to let those in the Northeast who may be thinking about laying up soon what I have offered on other sites:

Want to extend your season but don't want to head all the way south? Don't want to haul and winterize only to make repairs in the spring? Why not try Joyner Marina in North Carolina. We have brand new facilites, that are clean and secure. You can view your vessel from our webcam and it never gets cold enough here to worry about winterizing. We are conveniantly located right on the ICW, near the Cape Fear river, and 20 minutes to the Wilmington International Airport. We have full length floating docks, and staffed 7 days a week, 362 days a year. We offer monthly service checks to check, test, run, warm up, etc every system on the boat to keep it in good working order. We can do these checks, weekly or monthly, at your request. Since half of our staff are ex-USCG, we have taken the daily boat checks we used to do at the small boat stations in the USCG, and modified it to apply to todays motoryachts, trawlers, sport fishing boats, and sailing vessels. We are running a special of $11/ft on the boat length with a maximum of $440/month on the 45' slip which includes all of your utilities (electric, cable, water, Wi-Fi, cable, and pumpout. Note, this does not apply to live-aboards), a 45' slip with full length finger pier (50' slips and T Heads available for larger vessels) and the systems checks from October through the end of March. For more information on our systems checks, references, or other information please contact capttim@joynermarina.com or visit http://www.joynermarina.com

We also have very experienced captains with the best references available to move the vessel for you if you are not able. Thank you for checking us out.

I don't like to see advertising and any other make a buck commercial posters here.You should go make a living somewhere else.

I agree with Eric. The forum has a Classified section but I believe the administrators intended that to be for forum participants to list the things they want to sell or buy themselves. Otherwise the forum is ad-free. Given the current state of the boating industry I suspect that if brokers, yard owners, paint companies, charter outfits, you name it, knew they could promote their products or services for free on this forum we would be inundated with hordes of desperate ads for business.

It's one thing to answer a boater's question about yards in your area by saying there is one in such-and-such a location and the phone number is ...x... but I think it's a whole different deal to post an unsolicited advertisement for a business you own or are associated with.

It's not my forum to run so the decision is up to the administrators but like Eric I believe commercials like yours would be better off being posted on your own website, in magazine ads, etc.

Eric/Marin,

If you can tell me how to delete the post or request that it be deleted, I will do that. I thought folks would want to know about specials, but I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for trying to make a living in the boat business. I'm just glad I wasn' trying to sell you a Sea Ray.

Hello Tim,"trying to make a living in the boat business.". I sincerely hope you do Tim. Very much so.
But I want this forum to remain a social club * *...exclusively. As to the delete others have posted other commercial stuff and I think those posts still stand so I won't get in a snit if it stays but I'll not like to see any more. I think you have a lot to share here on TF and I like your boat too so I hope this commercial issue dosn't stand in the way of your future here on TF.

Sincerely
Eric Henning

JMYSS wrote:

I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for trying to make a living in the boat business.

Don't appologize for trying to make a living in the boat business.* Better that than being on welfare which would seriously piss off Mr. Ancora over on OTDE
smile.gif
But there are appropriate places to advertise your business and inappropriate ones.* I happen to believe this forum is one of the inappropriate ones.* But I suspect all of us on this forum wish you success with your marine business.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 2nd of October 2010 02:20:54 PM

Although I don't want this forum to turn into a "flea market", where all the pros are placing hundreds of ads, I would like to see John and Doug recoup some of their money for running this thing. I think there's definitely a way to serve both and make a little maintenance money on the side. Example: The classifieds stay as they are, for forum members and then create a paid section and/or "banners" for yachtbrokers, builders and OEMs. Should the owners not want to go this route, a small subscriber fee (like Boat Diesel) could be charged. It's a small price to pay for the fun we've had on here the past few years. I would hope that the reason we are all on here is not because it is free.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 2nd of October 2010 03:20:16 PM

Eric/Marin,

THanks for the clarification, I could have worded my response a little different. After re-reading it a couple times, it probably appeared that I was taking a stab at you, the line about selling you a Sea Ray was a joke...I should have added an emotican thing...I joined this forum because I am a trawler owner and want to learn more about things I don't know, and help others with things I do know. I am a bit of a fanatic about boats, and lucky to also do that as a living. However, as someone noted, it is an intersting time in the marine industry and I do lay awake at night trying to figure out how to keep people working that work for me..I want to provide the best service and be the best in all areas of the marine industry that I participate in, not only for the bottom line, but to promote the lifestyle and provide people a good experience. So I probably blurred the line between posting for pleasure and business, here and other places. I understand that those of you who do it for relaxation don't want to be bombarded by people who do it for a living, and it is easy for that to get out of hand. I'll not post anything directley promoting me or my business, out of respect for those who wish not to see those things, but I still plan to participate.

By the way, if someone decided to have a membership fee like Boatdiesel, or a commercial forum for advertising for a fee, I would gladly pay to participate so I could still mix business and pleasure.
smile.gif

JMYSS wrote:

....but I still plan to participate.
Robert Livingston (CEO of Grand Banks) and Tony Fleming can participate in this forum if they want to, as long as they don't plug their products
smile.gif

Thanks for being Civil folks. Doug and I talk about this issue all of the time. I honestly don't think we will ever charge a fee. I am not a member of boatdiesel.....simply because it is not free. And it really isn't about the money....just something that rubs me. If we ever do choose to have advertisers on here, we promise to do it in the most unobtrusive way. I participate on tons of forums and know what works and what doesn't. Anyway, as of now, we have only talked about it. We actually have some really good ideas that I think y'all would enjoy thoroughly. Anyway, status quo for now and no real plans. Thanks for making your thoughts and ideas known and thanks again for the civility!!!!

John

I don't want to get into this from the ads no ads perspective but I read the original post with curiousity as I live in California but I went to HS and college in NC and I think a lot about moving back there.* It is interesting to compare the costs and get an idea of how late into the year the "season" runs.*

Back
Top Bottom