Six months plus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Annacapri
I would like to travel to the U.S. next winter but there may be a problem with being there longer than six months. My home port is Sugarloaf Marina on Lake Erie. The NY State canal closes on November 15 and doesn't reopen until May 1st. In order to get into the Hudson I would be entering the U.S. around November 1st and not exiting until around May 15. That's assuming ice conditions don't delay the May 1st opening on the return. If there is an exemption of some sort I'd like to know about it otherwise I'll make plans to head to the Bahamas. This is a bucket list trip. Any advise? Thanks

As I understand it you have 182 days.

seems like the Bahamas got added to your bucket list. Worst things could happen

I would like to travel to the U.S. next winter but there may be a problem with being there longer than six months. My home port is Sugarloaf Marina on Lake Erie. The NY State canal closes on November 15 and doesn't reopen until May 1st. In order to get into the Hudson I would be entering the U.S. around November 1st and not exiting until around May 15. That's assuming ice conditions don't delay the May 1st opening on the return. If there is an exemption of some sort I'd like to know about it otherwise I'll make plans to head to the Bahamas. This is a bucket list trip. Any advise? Thanks

Break it up with a side trip to the Bahamas, I've done it several times.
If this is your first time, I have a couple of links that might interest you ...

Primer For First timers Heading South.
Cruising the NY State Canal System.

I helped a guy take a boat to Fort Myers last fall. I've been in the Erie Canal as well. I'm retiring and want to spend an entire winter someplace warmer than north of the 49th. Thanks for your input.

Question is it the boat or the individuals who are limited to 180 days?

Couldn't you get an extension? Hell, there are millions of people that over stay their visa's running around the country anyway!

Couldn't you get an extension? Hell, there are millions of people that over stay their visa's running around the country anyway!

Visas? What visas?
Lol

Not that familiar with immigration law, so this is probably a stupid question, but Couldn't he just jump out into international waters for a day and return?

Have you considered returning through the St. Lawrence sea way?

Yes, thought about that too. Not sure about ice conditions in the spring and a much longer trip. Might be better to spend a few weeks in the Bahamas and then Florida.

Back
Top Bottom