Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Welcome Mat (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/)
-   -   MY to Trawler (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/my-trawler-17992.html)

Captain Ralph 12-22-2014 12:35 PM

MY to Trawler
 
N*G from Jacksonville FL, sometimes referred to south Georgia.

Were not a trawler, just run our old 58 Bert MY at trawler speed.
With her keel and deep hull form, she does ride nicely. Pur$e still suffers.

Extra ponies don't go to waste, we can still punch thru an ugly inlet, run around, run thru or hold station when the weather turns.

We don't look forward to bad weather, but we don't have time waiting for weather windows (still work). So were all weather cruisers.

Extensive history FL east coast and the Abaco chain. Next summer the Tortuga's.

siestakey 12-22-2014 02:05 PM

Welcome aboard

O C Diver 12-22-2014 03:07 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Ted

BandB 12-23-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ralph (Post 292767)
N*G from Jacksonville FL, sometimes referred to south Georgia.

Were not a trawler, just run our old 58 Bert MY at trawler speed.
With her keel and deep hull form, she does ride nicely. Pur$e still suffers.

Extra ponies don't go to waste, we can still punch thru an ugly inlet, run around, run thru or hold station when the weather turns.

We don't look forward to bad weather, but we don't have time waiting for weather windows (still work). So were all weather cruisers.

Extensive history FL east coast and the Abaco chain. Next summer the Tortuga's.

Wifey B: Ralphie....welcome aboard. Not crappy at all having you join us here. Lots of fun to be had. We're not true trawler owners either but trawler spirit and love of the cruising. My olderboater hubby and I have a weakness for any boat. He's only older compared to me as he's only 45.

Yeah Jacksonville is sort of another world from South Florida. But great boating with the river and with Amelia and Fernandina near and nor far from one of our faves, Savannah. In fact we actually were in a car yesterday driving through there. 6 wrecks on I-95 between Jacksonville and Savannah.

To us trawlering is a state of mind. Yeah we like a bit more speed like you do sometimes, but we thoroughly enjoy the water and exploring where it takes us.

Pura Vida 12-27-2014 03:03 PM

Welcome beautiful boat

RT Firefly 12-27-2014 03:10 PM

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Captain Ralph 12-27-2014 03:22 PM

BandB

We had to shove off da dock Wednesday. Cars scare me. If you found my other post (nother site) you may understand I was still looking for dinner. Josie spoiled me again and snuck aboard another turkey. All I had to do was sit back, drink (my fav) and eat a lot again.

Wish you and OB safe travels and great family times.
R & J

BandB 12-27-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ralph (Post 293947)
BandB

We had to shove off da dock Wednesday. Cars scare me. If you found my other post (nother site) you may understand I was still looking for dinner. Josie spoiled me again and snuck aboard another turkey. All I had to do was sit back, drink (my fav) and eat a lot again.

Wish you and OB safe travels and great family times.
R & J

Well, we've been on land this week, but Tuesday we head for Key West to welcome the New Year.

You think cars scare you, each of our cars are just over 2 years old and haven't hit 10,000 miles yet.

Captain Ralph 12-27-2014 03:57 PM

I had averaged over 100k+ every year since the 80s. My road rage was getting the best of me till I retired that career two years ago. I made my part time work full time and don't think I did 4000 miles all this last year. My trip to Malabar for thanksgiving was the only big trip this year and FtMyers was it last lear.
New rule since I retired, If I can't get there by water (or on the water when I get there), I usually don't want to (and don't) go.
I am sure I will live longer now for many reasons.

Francois 12-27-2014 04:47 PM

Welcome... your boat looks just like a Chris Craft Constellation... Beautiful

BandB 12-27-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ralph (Post 293953)
I had averaged over 100k+ every year since the 80s. My road rage was getting the best of me till I retired that career two years ago. I made my part time work full time and don't think I did 4000 miles all this last year. My trip to Malabar for thanksgiving was the only big trip this year and FtMyers was it last lear.
New rule since I retired, If I can't get there by water (or on the water when I get there), I usually don't want to (and don't) go.
I am sure I will live longer now for many reasons.

We only travel on the water except for three trips a year to NC and SC. That's where all our mileage comes from.

Captain Ralph 12-27-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois (Post 293956)
Welcome... your boat looks just like a Chris Craft Constellation... Beautiful

Connies are kool. But Bertrams (old ones) rule.

Thx,
rc

boatpoker 12-27-2014 10:14 PM

What's a trawler:popcorn:

Marlinmike 12-29-2014 09:39 AM

Capt Ralph what's the fuel burn with that puppy at say 8 knots? Still has the big 2 strokes?

Captain Ralph 12-29-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinmike (Post 294368)
Capt Ralph what's the fuel burn with that puppy at say 8 knots? Still has the big 2 strokes?

Not pretty;
Fat 8 kts, approx 1000 rpm, approx 8 to 8.5 gph. Less gen-sets.
One drawback about fat girls like this (18' beam), fat-butt and mpg are not usually in the same conservation.
Still have Detroit 12V71TIs.

Fast idle (800 rpm) will just make 7 kts and uses 5 gph.

The Twin Disk clutches (514s) do allow for hourly engine rotations. During LSD runs offshore, we shut one down, bring up the head temp on the other and improve these numbers by at least 1 gph.
Just getting the head and oil temp up is a better way to operate these old girls.

dimer2 12-29-2014 10:53 AM

Captain Ralph, my heart goes out to you. As an 8V71 owner, who loves his boat between fill ups, I feel your pain. I have no idea what I burn but use 800 gallons to go 800 miles at 8 kts :)

Alemao 01-04-2015 09:02 AM

Welcome aboard


Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Pura Vida 01-05-2015 08:33 PM

I would celebrate the MY, run it like you sold it!!I am 61 and only have about 15 years to spend my $ on fuel and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012