Summer is over!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
At least for me. Yesterday, when I prepared Moon Dance for haul-out, the temps were in the low 70's. Tomorrow it is expected to snow. Typical Maryland weather!

Attachments

• IMG_20141125_133913_423.jpg
    IMG_20141125_133913_423.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 88
82 degrees in Fort Lauderdale today, current heat index is 89.
Florida has a boat buyers program that allows an non-resident buyer to keep a boat here for 180 days after the closing without any sales tax due.
Who wants a floating winter condo this season?

Chilly here in Sarasota 77 right now

Summer isn't over, it just moves to Florida after he** leaves for points further South.

Tis a shame you can't follow it.

Clever of you to notice!

Wifey B: Haul out? Winter? Who allows such language to be used here. That's no way to talk in front of a lady. You're freaking me out. Scaring me. Oh, thank goodness it's in the 70's where I am today. Sorry, just panicked a moment.

wifey b: Haul out? Winter? Who allows such language to be used here. That's no way to talk in front of a lady. You're freaking me out. Scaring me. Oh, thank goodness it's in the 70's where i am today. Sorry, just panicked a moment.

lol

Hendo

Don't we just borrow it from the Aussie's and it is kinda used up when we send it back?

No matter what the chamber of commerce claims ,

Summer in Florida SUCKS!!

100deg F ,,100% humidity with 5 thunder storms a day to eat your electric gadgets.

60def F in shops and stores, 100F to your car then 60F in the next place.

MDs thrive!

I come from NY and Maine; New England states... Where winter weather is real and summer can scorch. Other two seasons are pronounced too. Lived in Denver for a few yrs. Strange, sudden weather changes in them dar Rockies... depending on which side of which mountain ya might be on or which pass you're going over during winter. Couple years in San Diego, weather was simply too blah for my liking, no real seasons... just blah, blah, blah. A decade in upper Sierra Nevada mountains (6K feet +/-) on border of CA and Nevada; weather similar to New England regarding pronounced seasons with striking summer-hot/winter-cold differences; real tough winters sometimes too! Big problem, similar to Denver, no access to ocean water. Simply had to leave!

Then I moved to SF Bay Area. As Goldilocks found in the Three Bears story: This porridge is just right for me! Been here since 1984. Plan to be here rest of life.

BTW: Reason I never tried Florida for extended period was the humidity. Had enough of that in NY during sweltering summers from birth to 18 yrs age. Just for S&G's kinda wish I had tried it for a year or two; memories might have been great!

Happy Local-Climate Daze! :lol: - Art :speed boat: :D

Planning our maiden voyage from Oriental NC to Washington NC this weekend...Temps look to be in the high 60's with Sun! Should be perfect...

Sorry about the winter stuff up north!

Heron Great looking boat safe voyage.

Summer's over and now comes the best cruising season in the PNW--- fall, winter, and spring.

All the yard apes are back in school, their parents are slaving away at their two jobs apiece trying to make ends meet, all the guys are glued to their TV sets watching the worlds most pointless game, and it's just cold and rainy enough to keep almost everyone else off the water.

Most boaters have buttoned up their boats for the winter, the marina parking lots are nearly empty, and the bays and anchorages are pretty much deserted except for a few boaters who know how to be boaters.

The wildlife has all come back from wherever it is they go to avoid the noise and exhaust fumes of "boating season," and the air is fresh and clean again.

This is the best time to be on the water in the PNW and up in BC. We took the boat out last couple of Sundays for spins on the bay and around a couple of nearby islands. Both times it was sunny, in the high 40s-low 50s, with a nice 15 knot breeze out of the southeast. The the entire time we were out we saw exactly one other cruiser. There were a few tankers, tugs and barges and one or two sailboats taking advantage of the wind, but they are all as nice a part of the scenery as the islends themselves.

So we now face six months of great boating. Come mid-June we'll start tackling boat projects in the slip and confining our boating destinations to a little bay in the islands where the public cannot go, and suffer through the summer "boating season" until next September whent it all starts getting good again.

So we now face six months of great boating. Come mid-June we'll start tackling boat projects in the slip and confining our boating destinations to a little bay in the islands where the public cannot go, and suffer through the summer "boating season" until next September whent it all starts getting good again.

Better be careful. You keep writing posts like that and everyone will figure out they should be boating these six months and then you'll have "boating season" year round.

Better be careful. You keep writing posts like that and everyone will figure out they should be boating these six months and then you'll have "boating season" year round.

No, I'm not worried about that. The weather defeats the them every time. Even if they know how uncrowded it is, they look out the window at the rain and fog and overcast and think about trudging out to the boat in the damp cold in heavy coats and gloves and having to take off covers and whanot, and they invariably decide they'd rather stay home.

There are some people like us who do it. But in bays where in the summer there might be 30 or more boats, in February there might be one or two. Interestingly enough, we see more sailboats out in winter than power cruisers. I expect this is partly because there is a lot more wind in the winter.

We've been cruising for 16 years now. Before that, we went fishing in our 17' Arima in the winter when they would open blackmouth season. And I've been flying floatplanes over these waters for near 30 years in every season. Fall, winter, and early spring are as boat-free today as they were in the early 80s.

In fact there are even less cruisers out now because of the price of fuel and because the boomers are getting older and boating is something more and more of them are giving up. Not because they want to, but because they have to. We'll have to, too, eventually. But right now we're taking every advantage my schedule and the wind will allow to get out in the islands during winter.

Last edited:
Yea, what Marin said. Now is the time enjoy peace and quiet in The Great Northwest. But please don't take that as an open invitation to join us.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom