Northwest Passage in a Trawler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you read Sprague Theobald's book about his passage on a 57' Nordhavn? He made a film too, but the book was much better. In my opinion the trip was spoiled by a lot of social drama and was arguably an unwisely composed crew for such a venture.

My favorite NW passage trip I've followed was a couple of Aussies on a small junk rigged boat called Teleport.

Teleport

Have you read Sprague Theobald's book about his passage on a 57' Nordhavn? He made a film too, but the book was much better. In my opinion the trip was spoiled by a lot of social drama and was arguably an unwisely composed crew for such a venture.

Peter,

You are so kind. As I read that book, I got to a point where I wanted everyone to die.:eek:

Social drama, all he did was complain about the few people who were actually trying to help him make the documentary and money.

He also managed to make the trip sound as un-appealing as one can imagine.

Greetings,
Mr. Wx. Given the popularity and success of your recent crossing I anxiously await the film and attendant report of YOUR NWP adventure...
observing.gif

Having done 3 trips to the Arctic and 1 to the Antarctic......granted on a USCG icebreaker each time....before contemplating such a trip I suggest doing one on a BIG, safe vessel...just to see the areas and if it's even worth the effort.

I had a few freinds on the USCGC Westwind when she ripped 180 foot hole down her side on the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica in 1984/5ish and the icebreaker almost met disaster in Antarctica and trying to make it to Chile for more permanent repairs.

Then I would suggest several trips with others on their boats and carry several EPIRBs/PLBs that are in your name and strap them to your body at all times above 55 degrees north....

Finally...plan your trip...then cancel and go to the library and get some national Geo videos on the Arctic/Antarctic and watch them in front of the fire with a glass of whatever.

Last edited:
I have direct knowledge of the conditions and services you can expect on the Alaska portion. I have been to the villages along the Arctic Ocean many times.

The villages do not have facilities for large boats. Yes, barges pull in there, but they are special barges designed for beach landings.

There is no marine fuel. If you need fuel you are going to either get very close to shore, which is hard since the water depth is very shallow, or you are going to have to tote your fuel.

If you want to go ashore, you could take your skiff, as there is generally the ability to get a skiff ashore. Sometimes this will be a beach landing. More often there is a creek or river or sand bar you can pull behind and get your skiff ashore.

The villages are small. Very small stores, and very expensive. Remember this is a wilderness. Everything gets flown in.

The people are great. I have lived amongst the native population, in their villages and their homes for years while at work. For the most part they are very friendly, and helpful, and willing to tell their stories. They have had a hard life. The arctic slope villages are not easy places to live.

My favorite village is Kaktovik Alaska. White people call it Barter Island. Go there and you'll likely see Polar Bears.

I have been 10 feet from a polar bear (I was inside my truck). I have stood in a herd of thousands of caribou. Right next to them, smelling their smells, and hearing the clicking sound they make when they walk. I have seen birds rarely seen, and watched Arctic Foxes hunt their prey. This is a place like no other.

Last edited:
Yes, Kevin had described it so well.

It's something I've thought about, but the risk far outweighs the gain AND the arctic, while beautiful, is also monotonous.

Combined with boring weather and skies and you quickly recognize that it's the kind of place that is much more enjoyable on someone else's dime.

Like that uscg ice breaker!

the first picture is parts delivery Actic style the rest is just what it is...beautiful, monotonous, dangerous...magnificent....glad I did it on someone else's dime too!

Attachments

• qq.jpg
    qq.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2x.jpg
    2x.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 96
  • qqw.jpg
    qqw.jpg