Boat Shopping- need opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracyt

I am shopping for a regional (to start) use boat in Chesapeake. I am trying to compare the relative quality of a Mainship vs Rosborough vs Island Gypsy. Anyone care to toss out their opinions - PLEASE :socool:

I can speak a little to older Mainship 34s, but it might depend on what era Mainship you're considering. Our '87 was reasonably well built, not fancy, very serviceable. It was also well-suited to the way we boat, here in the Chesapeake.

My sense is Rosboroughs are generally smaller than the Mainship III we had? Dunno about quality.

I'd guess Island Gypsy boats are slightly a bit visually fancier; if I remember right, some teak and so forth. Don't know much first-hand about build quality, though I think they have a good reputation.

-Chris

I wonder ur budget, but you know, you can pay now or much more later. I have a 1982/2013 remanufactured Mainship 34 that is FAR better than it was at comissioning. Go to yachtworld advanced search, 34 Mainship, Fort Pierce and look her over. I have foolishly dumped 100k into her since and including purchase in 2009. Your gain, my loss, lifestyle change dictates (wife) sale. I would strongly, very strongly, not go the fixer up er route. Just cost of boat parts will break you assuming ur are so skilled to do all the labor.

I am shopping for a regional (to start) use boat in Chesapeake. I am trying to compare the relative quality of a Mainship vs Rosborough vs Island Gypsy. Anyone care to toss out their opinions - PLEASE :socool:
Where on the Middle River? My Gulfstar 36 Mark II is at the Old Middle River Marina now known as the Middle River Landing Marina.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Gulf Star 36

I saw that boat in my travels today. Three more marina visits. It looks nice with black bottom paint and screws off if I am thinking of the right one.
How much are you asking for it.

Tracy

I saw that boat in my travels today. Three more marina visits. It looks nice with black bottom paint and screws off if I am thinking of the right one.
How much are you asking for it.

Tracy
That's the boat it's next to the office new black anti fouling on the bottom.
Please send me an e-mail if you are interested.
I did PM you as well.
Bill

Still looking around the mid Atlantic but these pesky employers keep cutting into my boat search time

In looking at older boats, it's really going to be more a matter of the condition of the specific boat. There will be good and bad of all the brands you're considering. I do find your insertion of Rosborough into the list of three as interesting since they are a completely different type boat.

Perhaps you should focus first a bit more on what you're wanting from a boat and that will help you focus more on the type boat instead of the brand. Are you wanting to spend nights on it, weekends, weeks, or longer? Wanting to take 50 mile trips or 400 mile? Wanting to accommodate a couple or 6 or 8 passengers?

Tracy, I couldn't agree more with Mule's comments. When I was looking for my Grand Banks 32 two years ago, I saw many 32's that were "project" boats however I decided to spend more up front to get a turn key boat and glad I did. Just got back from a 4 month trip cruising the southeastern ICW and Bahamas instead of spending time & $$ upgrading a project boat. Just my 2 cents. By the way, am considering selling my 32 to move up to a 40+ vessel. PM me if interested.

The island gypsy 44 Kong and halverson has the best 3 cabin layout I have seen, bulwarks etc just beautiful.

The only thing is they are now 30 years old so do all the checks before purchasing

The older Mainship 34 and the Island Gypsy will be roughly the same build quality. You will find soft decks, leaking windows, rotten exterior trim and fiberglass skinned plywood lockers on both boats. Maybe a bit less variability in build quality for Mainships as they were all built in one place whereas the Island Gypsy like most T/Ts were built in many yards.

The Rosborough RF 246is a more utilitarian build with exposed plumbing and electrical. But since it is built in Canada it is a more consistent build quality than the T/Ts.

David

Tracyt,
Check Bowleys marina and Goose harbor marina. I have seen Mainships for sale in both. Bowleys also has three Rosborough owners you can talk to.

The Rosborough 35 is a good value. There is a low time one in Michigan on yachtworld for 49k. Needs interior updating but doesn't look like a project. Nice Cummins, low hr engine. I'm not crazy (hate) about flybridges but it would work for most people. The other 35 in Michigan (hardtop sedan) is much more my style. I'm surprised nobody has grabbed it yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom