Spring Shipping on the Great Lakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's great. Thanks for sharing. It took me a minute to realize all those "ants" on the ice were people and cars. Looked windy too.

Neat video!, the tugs scurrying all about and pushing the freighter are just too cute. Note also, just as the freighter is clearing the Michigan street bridge, there are boys skating on the ice in the canal. I am surprised however that the freighter is starting a run and wonder where he is going, last I saw/heard Huron was still extensively frozen over.

I am surprised however that the freighter is starting a run and wonder where he is going, last I saw/heard Huron was still extensively frozen over.

The Sykes runs exclusively on Lake Michigan. Usually from Escanaba to Indiana Harbor carying iron ore. Ice is indeed an issue for commercial shipping on the lakes but the customers need the raw materials so the season is underway. The Soo locks open the 25th. Lake Superior has ice up to 4 feet thick in places such as Whitefish Bay and Duluth. Anyone interested in following lake shipping can follow the Boatnerd news blog at Great Lakes and Seaway Shipping Daily News

Back
Top Bottom