Power take off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nabb

Veteran Member
Good morning, may I know if any of you have used or come across Cummins 6CTA8.3-M220 (marine version). The problem is I am trying to locate the PTO on this engine to repower a winch. The Operation and maintenance manual is silent on that. It is quite easy to identify pto's on some marine engines but not this one. I would also like to know if there any attachments that i need to buy.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Nabb

Edington, it`s a specialized query, if no one can help, maybe try boatdiesel.com

If the crank pulley cannot be adapted to drive a hydraulic pump through a clutch, the best bet on most of those small engines is a reduction gear auxiliary drive pad.

If the power required is low, the alternator drive might be taken from a belt and the alternator pad used for something else. There are very strict limits on how much power can be taken off though.

What do you want to drive?

Are you trying to install a hydraulic pump? I've got a later model Cummins and the hydraulic pump is driven off the gear box (ZF in my case). The engine's gear driven PTO is already taken up by the raw water pump.

The hydraulic pumps I've seen, which is a few but not a million, are all gear driven, usually off the transmission's PTO. I suspect they are not belt driven because they are too big of a load.

The position on a 6CTA8.3 that is used for a direct drive hydraulic pump, is lost if the engine has a direct coupled raw water pump. Cummins offers a double groove pulley that bolts onto the frount of the harmonic balancer (frount of the crank shaft). In addition to other options already mentioned, some marine transmissions have an additional direct couple mount for a second hydraulic pump.

Ted

Edington, it`s a specialized query, if no one can help, maybe try boatdiesel.com

Yes, and provide the engine and transmission Serial Numbers for this same question to boatdiesel. Did you want the winch to be driven off a hydraulic drive pto or directly of the engine via a gear drive?

The hydraulic pumps I've seen, which is a few but not a million, are all gear driven, usually off the transmission's PTO. I suspect they are not belt driven because they are too big of a load.

No one said belt driven hydraulic pumps. The crank pulley can be changed out for one that mounts an electric clutch that drives the hydraulic pump. It is most commonly seen on generators since propulsion engines offer more alternatives as previously described.

Highly relevant photos below:

Attachments

• PTO.jpg
    PTO.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 432
  • PTO2.jpg
    PTO2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 446
No one said belt driven hydraulic pumps. The crank pulley can be changed out for one that mounts an electric clutch that drives the hydraulic pump. It is most commonly seen on generators since propulsion engines offer more alternatives as previously described.

Highly relevant photos below:

I see, thanks!

Nabb:

Boatdiesel and particularly the resident Cummins guru Tony Athens can certainly help. Or contact Tony directly at sbmar.com if you want to buy the stuff from his shop.

Another source for user help is downeastbpatforum.com. Those engines are fairly common in lobster boats and they all need to drive a hydraulic pot hauler.

David

As earlier indicated it is to drive a deck winch, and the winch is to be driven directly off the engine. A whole lot of information has been presented that might solve the problem and I am going to contact all the sources. Hopefully I will find a solution to this.

I appreciate you all for your comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Nabb

Back
Top Bottom