Marcasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
Found a 40' Albin on craigslist that indicated that the fuel tanks were marcasite. Could someone enlighten me as to what that material is?
Thanks Wally

Found a 40' Albin on craigslist that indicated that the fuel tanks were marcasite. Could someone enlighten me as to what that material is?
Thanks Wally
Got me...a quick couple of internet searches turns up jewelry and base mineral stuff..nothing about plating or welded tanks....

Many owners are clueless and pass along bad info...my boat's PO had the wrong sized engine, thought the boat was in great shape, etc..etc...even thought the LORANs were great a year after the system had been turned off...

Buyer beware!!!!!! :D

I may be the only marcasite miner on the Forum. Not intentionally though, it is just closely associated with copper, gold, lead and zinc sulfide ores and goes along for the ride until rejected both in the mill and smelter.

So rather than bore you to tears, suffice to say marcasite is an amorphous gangue mineral with the identical elemental makeup to pyrite - FeS2. Unfortunately, unlike pyrite which has a stable crystal structure marcasite does not and isn't even used in jewelry, just pyrite is used with a fancy name to create interest.

Marcasite fuel tanks are a name hoax, probably like other parts of the of the vessel description. Good catch!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom