Cruise To Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who would like to take their boat to Alaska but are reluctant to go alone, the publisher of Waggoner Guide is guiding a small fleet to Ketchikan next May. For details see:

Cruise to Alaska with Waggoner | Waggoner Cruising Guide

Ron

That sounds like a great, very social way for people that either prefer some company or are a little unfamiliar with wilderness cruising to come to Alaska and have a good time.

To people that are used to boating in more populated areas, its a different experience north of Vancouver Island. Allot less people, and services are a little more spread apart.

Aaaaaa

Aaaa Markpierce, don't scare the folks! Just made a non-stop Friday evening to Sunday morning trip from Bellingham to Ketchikan, 38 hours, wonderful voyage.

Sorry about that Coot:banghead:
!

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Last edited:
The Coot was designed for PNW waters. It carries enough fuel for 150 hours and more (1,000+ miles), easily. Here (SF estuary), I carry no more than half that as that lasts the majority of a year.

Last edited:
By "a little," you mean "a whole bunch more"?

Fuel is more spread out than most people are use to on the run from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, but its not just fuel, and its really not that far. Fuel is easy, just plan for it. Its something like 130NM or so for the longest run if I remember correctly.

Wilderness cruising is different in that there just isnt many people. Some people love being in an anchorage all alone. Some people like other people. Possibly it gives them comfort.

Its not even that there's no help. Its more the thought that theres no help that I suppose could get to people.

For us, in my part of Alaska almost all we do is wilderness cruising. We leave Reseruction Bay, which has lots of people, and we head east to the edge of Prince William Sound. We are at pretty much beyond the range of the trailer boats. We are further out than most big boats can get and back in a weekend, so we're mostly alone.

We might see one or two other boats all day. Maybe none. Maybe three.

Last edited:
Having done the trip from Anacortes to Ketchikan last summer on our own, I can see how people who are used to the PNW would start feeling lonely as they got further north. We didn't feel like we really got remote until we got to the Broughtons and finally felt at home when we came up the east side of Chatham Strait in SE Alaska. I think if we had the opportunity to join this group last year, we would have just for the fun. We met a lot of people on the way up and off an on we kept running into some of them in SE Alaska at different ports. Most of the nights we spent on anchor although we learned SE Alaska has a fair number of mooring buoys and state/federal docks in the middle of nowhere (Kevin, after spending 8 years running around PWS in a C-Dory, it seems we got the short end of state and federal funding compared to SE).

One thing we found missing in the Waggoner Guides were discussions about local industries. For example, going through the narrows just south of Nanaimo, the first thing you see is a large paper mill that is not mentioned. Nanaimo is way off in the distance. The references to logging as being mainly a bad thing are misleading. That is is one of the main industries in BC and if you are looking to take a hike or the dog for a walk, there is nothing better than a logging road. Whenever we saw signs of recent logging near the end of the day, we always looked for a place to anchor where we could get to the logging roads. This also holds true in SE Alaska. The forested areas are not fun to walk through and good "beaches", especially in BC were few and far between on the route we took. Maybe with a "guided" trip I would have gotten a different feel.

Tom

I guess it is all about what you are used to. I find SE Alaska a bit crowded in the summers. A lot more people now than when I lived there 1972 73. In the 70's and 80's I used to be a wilderness fur trapper and dog musher and have been 63 days without seeing another human. So guess normal or crowded is pretty subjective.

Cruisers think it's virtuous, more manly or an indication of boating experience or braveness ect ect to anchor instead of going to a town or village. I'm an Alaskan and love to visit harbors and towns. There's more Alaska culture, Alaskans and other things to see in Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau, Angoon, Pt Baker, and many other places than most anchorages. Anchorages are fun too especially w a good dinghy but my "perfect Alaska cruise" would be 30% anchoring and 70% in harbor.

Going on a group cruise would be fun too but it could be a little costly. I would hate to think of 10 or 12 boats crowded into a small anchorage but the Wagoner guy knows the anchorages well and if there's a big boat along several could raft. Traveling w only one or two other boats sounds more attractive to me. Some boaters think cruising is (or should be) an endless party w lots of booze, noise and jokes. Others are very quiet and keep to themselves. With a large group there will be several of both and those in between. I've never done it but I think a group cruise would or could require a lot of flexibility and possibly patience too.

We're talking with the owner/publisher (a friend of ours) about going along and making a documentary film of the trip.

We're talking with the owner/publisher (a friend of ours) about going along and making a documentary film of the trip.
Sounds like a blast to me! :blush:

Aaaa Markpierce, don't scare the folks! Just made a non-stop Friday evening to Sunday morning trip from Bellingham to Ketchikan, 38 hours, wonderful voyage.

Mark, inside or outside passage? Did you skip customs?

I can live without most of BC.

Mark, inside or outside passage? Did you skip customs?.

My only adventures into Alaska have been on cruise ships. Much less expensive and much more comfortable than on a small boat. And yes, no customs problems at either Vancouver or Victoria or wherever. Helps to be part of 2000 souls.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D383299%3A7%3C3336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Al,

Were you riding on the "Blue Canoe"?

Tom

Mark wrote;

"Helps to be part of 2000 souls."

Yes as long as the toilets are working.

And w 2000 souls you're choice of company is far and wide. Do you meet a lot of people or do you and Perla play cards in the cabin. Do they allow chains on the bed and lots of noise?

Tongas ave looks tiny in your pic.

What are you doing riding a horse in the boating forum?

tpbrady,
Exactly my thoughts as 38 hrs is the TT from BELLINGHAM.

Last edited:
My only adventures into Alaska have been on cruise ships. Much less expensive and much more comfortable than on a small boat. And yes, no customs problems at either Vancouver or Victoria or wherever. Helps to be part of 2000 souls.

Mark, you should really try an Alaskan voyage in your own boat sometime.

You have a great boat for the trip.

There's a side of Alaska you cannot see from the cruise ship, or from where a cruise ship stops.

What you see from a cruise ship is not the real Alaska. It it a set up staged Alaska specifically choreographed for tourists.

I could bore you with pictures, but the real Alaska is just waiting for you and your admrial to see and explore at your pace, from the wheelhouse of your fine boat.

My only adventures into Alaska have been on cruise ships. Much less expensive and much more comfortable than on a small boat.

Less expensive than on a small boat??

We've spent 13 summers (2 to 3.5 months each) so far, and several shorter trips, cruising BC and SE Alaska on our 22 and 26-footers. Average costs from $50-$80 per day. (not including purchase and non-routine maintenance of said boats, nor groceries and booze - would have spent that anyway)

Akfish, the League of BC Boaters will be waiting for you with tar and pitchforks.

Akfish, the League of BC Boaters will be waiting for you with tar and pitchforks.

Just like the AK - BC salmon wars of 1997?
http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/SalmonWars/071907_salmonwars.html

Notice to armchair mariners....I said I could live without "most" of BC. Cant imagine them burning me down for going around. I have found a few great people and places there. Gotta love our neighbors to the "south". I find the officials to also be pleasant, unlike most of ours. We should have bought Canada years ago.

I was only trying to figure out an outside passage from Ketchikan to WA. Just trying to maximize my time in AK and WA. BC waters are OK, but its more of a transit for me. I've seen a lot of the clear-cuts before. Besides, the mountains don't really get impressive until North of Prince Rupert anyway.

Definitely like Canadian beer...and watching hockey.

Akfish,

I wonder if we put ourselves up for sale, if we would get a better deal from the Canada.

Tom

Akfish,
I don't think Canada is for sale and remember ... we're 16T in debt. Haven't got the money anyway. They'd be more likely to buy WA and AK. I don't think they're in debt. Looks like their smart enough to tax dino fuel and maintain there infrastructure. But on the other hand they're selling their natural resources as fast as they can.

And if you think Canada is more beautiful that Alaska you haven't seen Kynoch Inlet, Rosco Inlet and/or many others. And then there's the Queen Charlotte Islands. Alaska does not have a "North Beach".Boaters think going to AK puts a lot more hair on their chest and if you're into glaciers ... . The mad dash past Canada to get to Alaska is a mistake many make.

Pics are of Kynoch Inlet.

Attachments

• DSCF0429 copy.jpg
    DSCF0429 copy.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0433 copy.jpg
    DSCF0433 copy.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF0441 copy.jpg
    DSCF0441 copy.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 147
I agree Eric. I thought the Kynoch Inlet scenery put Princess Louisa to shame. Here a few pictures from my collection.

Ron

Attachments

• Pic036.jpg
    Pic036.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Pic037.jpg
    Pic037.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 135
Ron,
Was Kynoch Falls in Culpepper Lagoon? We didn't go in there. and we did'nt see the falls. Thought it was too deep for anchoring and didn't know about the current at the entrance. Anchored at the river mouth.

Kynoch Falls look a lot like these falls. The rock is way different though. Could be much older.

Attachments

• DSCF0404 copy.jpg
    DSCF0404 copy.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 128
Ron,
Was Kynoch Falls in Culpepper Lagoon? We didn't go in there. and we did'nt see the falls. Thought it was too deep for anchoring and didn't know about the current at the entrance. Anchored at the river mouth.

Kynoch Falls look a lot like these falls. The rock is way different though. Could be much older.

Eric,

The falls in the picture are at the entrance to Kynoch Inlet. They are at the north end of Mathison Channel and when you see them you make a right turn to go up Kynoch Inlet. I'm not sure they are named Kynoch
Falls and I don't have any charts here to verify the name. I'm surprised you missed them if you went up Mathison Channel.

When we anchored at the head of Kynoch Inlet we took the dinghy into Culpepper Lagoon and made many soundings at the opening. These soundings indicated it would be possible to take the big boat into Culpepper and I have talked to someone who did it.

My last time in the area, I wanted to go up Kynoch Inlet but it was foggy so my better half decided we would skip it. When the sun is out, this Inlet is God's country. Like I said before, much better than Princess Louisa.

Ron

It really is a magnificent part of the world.

It is an ambition of mine to take a boat through that area,it's a bit far for the mighty Sarawana, so it will probably be one of the fleet hire GB's that seem to populate the PNW.

Just don't spoil it before I get there.

Andy wrote;

"Just don't spoil it before I get there"

Ther'e working hard at it but Alaska is big and the solution to pollution is dilution. Miners, fishermen and hunters may ruin Alaska but size is still mostly working so ruin probably won't come very soon. Depends on what I mean by "very soon" and I don't know either.

Akfish,

I wonder if we put ourselves up for sale, if we would get a better deal from the Canada.

Tom

That's a better idea, Tom.

We have just as much to offer as that waterfall at Kynoch Inlet...

Andy said, "Just don't spoil it before I get there"

Well, I'm being the best steward that I can be, and passing that to my kids so they have the same respect. Sometimes we go beach combing and we usually end up with a bunch of trash that we take back to port.

I have grown up commercial fishing here, and I think there is more awareness of the environment in general even though there is more use pressure. Things are not like when I set foot on my great grandfather's boat in Washington. But after watching the oil spill happen here in PWS, it's apparent we have to be aware of not sh!tting in our food dish. That's the short message to the kids, as we catch dinner.

Manyboats...you're right...lots and lots and lots of shoreline and water...it is amazing how nature re-claims itself over time. You have to dig around to find the nasty impacts of the Exxon Valdez eco-disaster. On it's face PWS is pristine.

Attachments

• IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4124.jpg
    IMG_4124.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 126
Hummmm- "Just don't spoil it before I get there". Almost sounds like it is all about :"Me".

As a born and raised Alaskan from an Alaskan family and raised an Alaskan family the ever present sublime "anti-development' themes, while a 1st amendment right, do fire the soul of debate!
However, I have learned my lesson of the forum adjudicators.

Al Johnson

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom