Tollycraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ya mon

Veteran Member
Does anyone know anything about 44' Tollycrafts with diesel engines? Quality, dependability, fuel economy, whatever info anyone has will be helpful.

Thank you

Check out Tollycraft club, they probably speak specifically to the Tollys. Maybe Art will chime in. My wife and I did a lot of research and settled on a 34 Tolly. I don't think you'll find anything on the net about hull issues. More than likely comments a long the line of, over built, good quality through out, good value, quite a following on the West and such
Good luck with your search. Ps there is a Tolly gathering at Fishermans Bay would be a great place to see them first hand and pick someone's brains.

I have seen four different diesels in these vessels. My preference best to worst is:
Cummins
Cat
Volvo
DD

Does anyone know anything about 44' Tollycrafts with diesel engines? Quality, dependability, fuel economy, whatever info anyone has will be helpful.

Thank you

Ahoy Ya mon! Welcome aboard! :thumb:

44 Tolly's are real nice crafts... Matter O' fact; pretty much all Tolly's that have been well looked after are still real good boats! For sure join the Tollycraft forum. Search feature goes through archives. Place a word, phrase, or question and answer threads/posts appear. You can also place questions in a new thread and Tolly Gurus will come to answer. :speed boat:

Good Luck and Happy Tolly Daze! :D

Art :dance:

PS: Read Tolly ads in YachtWorld... good picts as well as sometimes there are revealing Home page and Specs page comments.

Last edited:
Most people love(d) their boats, regardless of manufacturer.

232323232%7Ffp6359%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B57336nu0mrj

Not to jazz you too much but you need to offer more info when you ask for opinions like that.
Which years, which engines. Other wise there were a lot of options over the years and any opinions will be so wide ranging to be of minimal use.

I agree with Sunchaser about the engines.

And also with the suggestions to contact the Tollycraft Club. It is a big deal in this area and VERY active. From 26' to the 65' and you should get some serious help.

Most of the Cummins will be repowers and they are out there. The 3208 Cats were a serious option but again which years of boat are you looking at.

If the boat has the 3208 Cats then be very carefull to check access around the hull sides. I've seen a 37' with these things and god help the owner/mechanic if the part to be accessed is on the hull side.
They were big, wide engines, although good in their day, that really tightened up the engine space and access depending upon the hull.

Even the later Volvos, 6's, seem to leave not as much room as I'd like, hull side. Good room inboard, not so much outboard. BUT REALLY LOOK. When you need service you will pay the mechanic a lot or curse a lot if you do it.

Of course I'm long past the time I'm willing to crawl around getting stuck and poked by bolts in my sides or scratches or cuts or squeezing into areas that I have questions about getting out later.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tolly world. The forum there us great

Be sure to learn about Gordon Graham ... he us a great treasure for knowledge and source for partsl

Most people love(d) their boats, regardless of manufacturer.

232323232%7Ffp6359%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B57336nu0mrj
Pretty sure that`s a Norwegian designed "Folkboat", a 26ft long keel f/g sailboat with full depth transom hung rudder. A great sailing boat, suited to heavy weather. With sails well set,it would track straight,close hauled, with zero tiller pressure. An Australian grandmother sailed one solo (not non stop) round the world, hit rocks near Sydney and sank it. I still miss mine.

It sure looks like it but I think it's not. It could be some later derivate from the same design.

The story is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Folkboat

The boat in the picture doesn't have the "planking" that is still required for the class eventhough the boats woulb be made from fiberglass. The proprtions also seem to be off..

Or then again could be me, never owned one but uphere we all know the legendaru capabilities of the design.

Tiku,I `m glad to hear the Folkboat tradition continues.
Folkboats currently imported here are f/g with simulated clinker planking. Numerous f/g versions were built here by Dulmison, called "International Folkboats",(which the photo greatly resembles) in smooth hull form.They were, still are, highly regarded in our weather conditions.
I once inspected an import f/g smooth hull boat I was told was used by Dulmison as the plug for its moulds. Later Dulmison built an "M26" version (M stood for "Marieholm") with raised coachouse and lowered cabin sole, giving near full headroom.
There were several racing fleets in Sydney with their own Division, now they are merged into a general class. I raced, as crew, later as owner/skipper, for some years.
The very earliest ones built here were timber, there was also a timber version called a "Stella" with raised doghouse.I once saw a 28ft version, which the owner said was custom built, based on Folkboat design.
Long may they continue.
Sincere apologies to Tolley enthusiasts for thread drift, it was too opportune to miss.

Back
Top Bottom