Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Events - West Coast (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/)
-   -   Headed for the Broughton group (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/headed-broughton-group-10441.html)

bshanafelt 06-05-2013 10:18 AM

Headed for the Broughton group

We will be heading directly to the Broughton's this year. Plan to spend 4+ weeks poking about the area. Should be there around July 5 or so.

Hope to pull in a nice size halibut or 2, see bears etc. With luck, might even get a day or two without rain.

Will also spend 10 days in Desolation on the way back in Aug.

OFB 06-05-2013 10:26 AM

Nice, just sounds like fun times in the rain.

windmist 06-05-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshanafelt (Post 160797)
We will be heading directly to the Broughton's this year. Plan to spend 4+ weeks poking about the area. Should be there around July 5 or so.

Hope to pull in a nice size halibut or 2, see bears etc. With luck, might even get a day or two without rain.

Will also spend 10 days in Desolation on the way back in Aug.

I'll be about a week behind you. We are leaving Port Orchard on the 14th. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Ron

Pau Hana 06-05-2013 11:10 AM

We are headed to Desolation in late July for 3 weeks. We were thinking about going to Princess Louisa, but decided to head north instead and explore. Final itinerary isn't set as of yet, but plenty of fishing, crabbing, prawning, (maybe even diving for scallops) is on the agenda!

Northern Spy 06-05-2013 04:25 PM

Finally saw a few trawlers heading north today. Usually see a steady stream for both Victoria Day and Memorial Day weekends. Might be quiet up there.

Tonic 06-06-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmist (Post 160807)
I'll be about a week behind you. We are leaving Port Orchard on the 14th. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Ron

And we will be somewhere between the two, leaving Seattle July 8th. We like to limit the length of our legs, so our "direct" route to the Broughtons will likely involve Anacortes, Prevost Harbor, Nanaimo, a couple of steps TBD, and Refuge Cove . The plan is to take advantage of neap tides for the transit of Yuculta/Gillard/Dent the morning of the 14th or 15th. Then Blind Bay, Port Harvey, and finally into the Broughtons via Chatham Channnel for about 4 weeks alternating between the hook and the various small happy hour marinas.

The last half of August should see us taking in Octopus Islands, Desolation, and Princess Louisa, to name a few and, finally, the Gulf Islands before returning to US waters the first week of September.

Or something like that. We have 8+ weeks and will take whatever the weather allows.

QB 06-06-2013 01:37 PM

Sounds like it's going to get crowded! Desolation Sound – Definately A Misnomer! | Pacific Wooden Boats.

windmist 06-06-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB (Post 161159)

Good article and unfortunently, very true.

He makes a reference to the Broughton's, about 3 days further north at trawler speeds, and while less crowded the weather is much worse. It is rain country and lots of people stay a week or so and then get back to Desolation so they can see the sun again. However, you will seldom find a secluded anchourage and some of the more popular spots may have to be bypassed because there isn't any room for you. One place called Laura Cove is an anchourage I have never been able to get in. Wall to wall boats.

Ron

Conrad 06-06-2013 09:35 PM

Whatever you do, you do not want to go into Von Donop Inlet. It is quiet, uncrowded, and apparently only appeals to folks who are looking for a beautiful and serene experience unsullied by party boats and shoreline development.
Be warned.

rochepoint 06-06-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonic (Post 161155)
And we will be somewhere between the two, leaving Seattle July 8th. We like to limit the length of our legs, so our "direct" route to the Broughtons will likely involve Anacortes, Prevost Harbor, Nanaimo, a couple of steps TBD, and Refuge Cove . The plan is to take advantage of neap tides for the transit of Yuculta/Gillard/Dent the morning of the 14th or 15th. Then Blind Bay, Port Harvey, and finally into the Broughtons via Chatham Channnel for about 4 weeks alternating between the hook and the various small happy hour marinas.

The last half of August should see us taking in Octopus Islands, Desolation, and Princess Louisa, to name a few and, finally, the Gulf Islands before returning to US waters the first week of September.

Or something like that. We have 8+ weeks and will take whatever the weather allows.

What no stop in Sidney BC, PT haven..............:)

Tonic 06-07-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rochepoint (Post 161271)
What no stop in Sidney BC, PT haven..............:)

Never been there, which is a good reason try it on the way home this time, perhaps, maybe. What are the chances of a 50' guest slip at Port Sidney Marina around Labour Day weekend?

IslandEagle 06-09-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonic (Post 161278)
Never been there, which is a good reason try it on the way home this time, perhaps, maybe. What are the chances of a 50' guest slip at Port Sidney Marina around Labour Day weekend?

They take reservations, it's a very nice place. Also nice is the Sidney Spit marine park.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

koliver 06-09-2013 01:31 PM

We plan to be in the Desolation Sound region for three to five weeks this summer. Luckily, a lot of folks only go to the busy spots, as noted by others above. We will not be in those busy spots. The last time I anchored in Laura cove was in 1976. I frequently cruise through Prideaux haven in my dinghy, just to count the unfortunates who are crowded in there. In the peak weeks of the summer there are usually in excess of 100 boats. My choice of anchorages is partly driven by crowding, those are the places I don't visit.

rochepoint 06-09-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad (Post 161259)
Whatever you do, you do not want to go into Von Donop Inlet. It is quiet, uncrowded, and apparently only appeals to folks who are looking for a beautiful and serene experience unsullied by party boats and shoreline development.
Be warned.

Conrad, this is suppose to be a secret, sort of like the sunshine here:oops:.
Best days last cruise were Von Donop Inlet and Roscoe Bay, both were quiet and uncrowded.

Conrad 06-09-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rochepoint (Post 161759)
Conrad, this is suppose to be a secret, sort of like the sunshine here:oops:.
Best days last cruise were Von Donop Inlet and Roscoe Bay, both were quiet and uncrowded.

Sorry Mike; maybe an oops but in my sad defense I felt that TF members would honour the sanctity of the place!

I just won't mention the THE best place to drop anchor in Von Donop Inlet.

Never been in to Roscoe Bay but have passed it any number of times - it always looked crowded to me, but that could just be a perception from a distance.

rochepoint 06-09-2013 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A "rainy" day in Roscoe Bay........:)
I think the high tide only entrance is a turn off to some. We were one of only four boats with the other rafted to us.

Conrad 06-09-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rochepoint (Post 161765)
A "rainy" day in Roscoe Bay........:)
I think the high tide only entrance is a turn off to some. We were one of only four boats with the other rafted to us.

Looks much quieter than I've seen on my cruisebys. (if that's a word)

To me the tide thing is good, as it only allows committed cruisers in! Kind of like Hidden Basin on Nelson Island, another gem. Oops.

koliver 06-09-2013 03:11 PM

Conrad:

I hope that when you are in VD, you get up to the lakes. I discovered two canoes, complete with fishing gear and paddles, on my walks up to Robertson lake and Wylie Lake. I did borrow the one on Wylie to explore the far side. Both qualify as good reasons to make VD a stop on a circumnavigation of Cortez.

koliver 06-09-2013 03:36 PM

This thread has me recalling some of the reasons I keep going back to Von Donop.
One dawn, as I was giving the dog a shore run, I approached what appeared from the boat to be a beachable part of the shoreline, dog on the bow, and as I approached, I saw a family of Mergansers paddling quietly along close to shore. So as not to disturb them, I stopped in my approach. As I watched, I became aware of another watcher, on shore, where a Lynx was waiting for breakfast as the Mergansers approached her location (I assume all predator cats are female). I chose to allow the Mergansers to live another day, so disturbed the Lynx, who ran off into the bush. I took the dog to a different part of the shoreline.

IslandEagle 06-09-2013 04:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My personal favourite is Toba Inlet, this was summer 2006. The green water is due to algae-rich glacial runoff.