Zoleo + cellphone = Global Texting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Just stumbled across the Zoleo satellite communicator...it connects to your cellphone via an app and then allows two way texting anywhere on the planet. Cost is $200.00 for the small device plus a monthly subscription.

You can 'park' it for $4.00 per month which allows you to keep your Zoleo number and all your past texts, and the lowest fee is about $20.00 per month.

Your contacts can text you anytime, and you can contact them anytime. It has a button you can push which sends out a location and short "I'm here" message to your contacts, which means you don't have to dig out your cellphone for quick updates about your location.

You can get weather on it, but I don't know how accurate or location specific it is.

It has an SOS button which allows two way communication with rescuers. The battery is good for 200 hours and is rechargeable in the field.

It automatically uses cell towers or wifi if those are available, saving you satellite time for when you need it.

All in all, a pretty cool device.

Satellite Communicator Features | ZOLEO

Last edited:
How fast is the texting? Using the Garmin Inreach, you can send a text, but going through the Iridium satellite system can delay the delivery, sometimes over an hour.

Ted

How fast is the texting? Using the Garmin Inreach, you can send a text, but going through the Iridium satellite system can delay the delivery, sometimes over an hour.

Ted

Don't know...just found out about it.

Maybe somebody will chime in if they've used one, or someone might dig that information up with a bit of research.

Last edited:
Same question as Ted's, being a long-time In-Reach user. I'm interested on how this might be a better product, if it is. In-Reach has been a solid satellite text communicator since its introduction and I've been using it since then. Always open to a better way to skin a cat, though. I also have an Iridium sat phone but prefer the In-Reach based on cost when text will do.

Last edited:
I am deeply involved with IoT using cell and satellite. For a bit more money I prefer the garmin Inreach. They both use the Iridium SBD service so performance should be identical. Having the rugged Garmin with everything in 1 unit vs tethering to my cell seems more reliable. Plus Garmin is not a startup company so likely more stable. The inreach has a lot of features and functionality all integrated.

Zoleo uses Iridium so as far as whatever is shared with InReach, I’d guess it’s send/receive performance would be similar. But I never know if the delay is Iridium or InReach. Zoleo does not have a tracking function like InReach if that matters to some. Zoleo assigns a phone number and email so your contacts can more easily send you direct messages. For someone to send you a message to InReach they either have to reply to something you sent or go through your mapshare page. I’d consider the Zoleo if I didn’t use the InReach tracking.

Also, the Zoleo will choose cell service or satellite depending what is available. It has an SOS function that is sent to GEOS like InReach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom