Trawler with headroom - a lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judy at JWY

I have a client that exceeds my experience for tall head space. The maximum I have sold is for 6'5". I need 6'10". Any suggestions? Btw, he's not a Texan.

Thanks!

Only a custom-built boat will ever serve this person. Suggest a helmet.

With that height he likely will need a one off or a modified existing design. I know several sailboat designs have been modified to achieve height. However would think it wold be more difficult to do for a trawler and still keep a adequate AVS without adding significant Pb in the keel. Furthermore the increase in windage would be a concern. Hence agree unless he’s going to a large trawler which could accommodate the high overheads more easily he’s looking for a used one off built to his needs. My NT 42 has a overhead dimension of 6’4” at the edges of the salon but only modest camber of the overheads. Perhaps there’s other designs with more camber so at least he be fully erect in the centerline.

May I suggest a Krogen Express, I am 5’10” and standing flat footed in the MSR I could not touch the overhead

I have a client that exceeds my experience for tall head space. The maximum I have sold is for 6'5". I need 6'10". Any suggestions? Btw, he's not a Texan.

Thanks!

Any other rough parameters on what he's looking for? Even just a size range? A Nordhavn 68 APH has pretty good headroom, but I don't know if it's 6' 10". The hall on the lower level definitely is not that high, but the main deck I think might be, along with the pilot house. He'll have to duck for doorways, but I'm sure he's used to that.

Berth length may be a consideration as well. I had a friend who was about that height. He didn't mind stooping, but specified extra long berths for his custom sailboat.

I’m a modest height 6’ but wife’s only 4’10”. Due to height discrepancy when we spec’d our last sailboat paid a lot of attention to handholds, lockers, counters and drawers heights. Ended up with extra handholds. Most places split the difference so she wouldn’t be tippy toe and I wouldn’t be constantly bent over. But in her spaces things were optimized for her and vis a versa.
He’s tall. What about her?

Last edited:
He has probably dealt with height issues his whole life. Until you get ineo the bigger and more expensive boats he is probably out of luck for really good comfort.

At 6'4" (then) I was assigned to a WWII vintage submarine. You just learn to duck a lot. Easy once you become accustomed. I'm sure your customer has been practicing that his entire life. 'course, maybe he's tired of it.

I am not sure if your client can bend his mind to consider a 'trawler cat' but the one I am currently sitting on is basically one level living/cruising with headroom of 7'4" throughout.

I'd be worried about being able to crawl around the engine room to do basic maintenance. Maybe a sailboat or a slick modern pontoon with higher ceiling. Just saying. :)

Great Harbour GH37 is 7' at a minimum and more in most locations.
Two are for sale, including mine (shameless plug...)....

I am 6'7" and found the headroom in the Kadey Krogen 44 was more than enough. I could not really afford the boat and make do with what I have. On our IG. I can stand in the forward cabin, Almost in the forward part of the salon. The aft cabin is a no go. But the shower compartment has a seat, we switched out the boat mattress to a house hold 60x80 and being a walk around helps,not being between bulkheads. The builtin seating is generous in the salon and flybridge settee- good depth and lenght. As far as the engine room goes my lanky frame and long arms really helps in reaching over the engines to work on the outboard side. So it works. Happy Holidays to all. Dave is right it also helps to been dealing with height issues for ever- I did not wake up one morning almost 7' tall Peace.

Another boat with awesome headroom is the Hatteras 42LRC! They have almost 7' in the salon. Well respected and much more affordable than the KK44 I spoke about before.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the Hatteras LRCs and Cheoy Lee LRCs have been my recommendations for the most headroom. But seems like my client has a "tall order" at 6'10.

Back
Top Bottom