Threading the needle.....with a tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Kinda miss the old adrenaline rush...especially when the barge was full of fireworks...:eek:

Attachments

• 20200630_163423.jpg
    20200630_163423.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 105
I love that bridge during striper season....:facepalm:

For those that are curious...its the RR bridge in the Cape May Canal, NJ.

... and the spring tides are running and people are blowing through making huge wakes that turn into standing waves.:dance:

Psneeld- can you comment on the size and type of tow line? Doesn't look like much for that type of tow.

Is it SOP to have someone that close to the cable - if it snapped...?

Cant say for sure, maybe 1 1/2 nylon....could be some type of polyester also....

I have towed barges of that size with a 26 Shamrock with 1 inch nylon....but only short distances. Could have towed longer, but really slow and just barely under control in some situations with a light, single engine biat.

The boat in the picture is a 45 foot Aluminum crew boat with twin 350 hp John Deers.

Is it SOP to have someone that close to the cable - if it snapped...?
See the outside steering station just opposite?

When I was captain...someone would only be there temporarily. The load is so light on that line, it's really not stretched much so snap would be minimal in this case. When really pulling, probably no one would just stand there.....he may have just shortened the tow to get through the bridge, and is preparing to handle the line again.

I love that bridge during striper season....:facepalm:

For those that are curious...its the RR bridge in the Cape May Canal, NJ.

... and the spring tides are running and people are blowing through making huge wakes that turn into standing waves.:dance:

You're braver than I am! Hell, it was plenty sketchy going through there with my skinny girl and nothing in tow, lol. Also, I've only been through that stretch twice now, and I've been waked onto my beam ends both times :):D:):D:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom