tachometer issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ifxubak

I have a 2001 Mainship 390 with a single Cummins 6BTA engine. After having an annual service done on the engine, my tachometer stopped working. The sending unit is a magnetic sensor on the flywheel. The mechanic suggested that the sending unit was failing. I replaced the sender, but still get no readings at either helm station. Any suggestions?

I would check all the electrical connections.

I had intermittent / no reading and found it to be the elec connectors at the sending unit. Cleaned them up and back to normal.
The sender needs adjustment but you need to understand the correct procedure before making any adjustments.

"after having an annual service done". Does that mean it worked before the service but didn't work on the first start after? If so I'd guess a wire got dislodged someplace. These things are almost always wiring problems.

"after having an annual service done". Does that mean it worked before the service but didn't work on the first start after? If so I'd guess a wire got dislodged someplace. These things are almost always wiring problems.

Very much agree. When I had annual service done last year, the mechanic, by bracing his foot on the engine ended up shorting the signal wire to the starter. It took a lot of time and money tracing down the problem and the fix was very easy. I have learned that if something worked before and no longer doesn’t, what changed and what was the last thing done. That's the first thing I consider in my search for resolution.

XFXUBAK

Did you run the sensor in untill it touched the flywheel, then back it out between 1/4 and 1/2 a TURN and then snug up the nut? THis is the required adjustment for the sensor to be able to pick up then pulses from the flywheel.

Was there any rust showing on the sensor end. If so the rust MUST BE CLEANED OFF as it is magnetic and will degrade the pulses so the sender is not sending a good clear pulse to the tachometer.

Unless this is done it won't work.

Note to that these pulse are weak so the wiring MUST be in good shape with clean and tight connections. It takes very little oxidation at connections or crimps to degrade the signals so the meter cannot read them.

Back
Top Bottom